Director, Informatics & Outcomes Research
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. The difference between potential and achievement lies in the spark that fuels innovation and inventiveness; this is the space where Merck has codified its legacy for over a century. Merck’s success is backed by ethical integrity, forward momentum, and an inspiring mission to achieve new milestones in global healthcare.
Merck is on a quest for cures and is committed to being the world’s premier, most research-intensive biopharmaceutical company. Today, we’re doubling down on this goal. Merck Research Laboratories is a true scientific research facility of tomorrow, and will take Merck’s leading discovery capabilities and world-class small molecule and biologics R&D expertise to create breakthrough science that radically changes the way we approach serious diseases.
Who you are: You are a seasoned informatics scientist with interest and experience in Real-World Evidence (RWE) generation through advanced analytics. You have a strong desire to influcence internal and external decision making through the application of innovative data science and technology.
Where you fit in: You will collaborate with and support a diverse set of scientists in the Center for Observational and Real World Evidence (CORE) as you seek to push the boundaries of use of real world data to support market access, reimbursement and other business imperatives. You will help identify business and scientific opportunities as you broaden the scope of collaboration with other functions in the research laboratories. You will have the opportunity to collaborate with IT professionals as you seek to turn meaningful findings into solutions that may be used in care management and clinical decision support. You will do this in a vibrant research environment, with a strong innovative culture and at a national center of the health informatics. You will have access to a wealth of resources and growth opportunities that a large pharmaceutical company can offer.Responsibilities:
- Support strategies regarding Real-World Data (RWD), RWE, and digital health by providing strategic input on rapid analytics, predictive modeling, machine learning, artificial intelligence, interactive visualization, etc.
- Help develop strategic partnerships on RWD assets, analytics, and technology
- Effectively communicate novel findings and methodological approaches to internal and external stakeholders
- Promote innovative data science and technology throughout the life cycle of RWE generation
- Support ongoing improvements to methods and algorithms that have significant impact on business
- Provide organization with necessary insights into innovative data science and technology arcoss academic and industry
Training in biomedical informatics, health informatics, clinical informatics, data science, epidemiology, biostatistics, or a related field required; PhD preferred, or a Master’s degree with at least 6 years relevant work experience is required.
Required Experience and Skills**:
- Five (5) or more years of relevant quantitative and qualitative research and analytics experience
- Broad understanding and application of advanced statistical and predictive modeling for RWE generation
- Broad understanding and application of machine learning algorithms (supervised, unsupervised learning, deep neural network, transfer learning) in biomedical research and/or healthcare settings
- Experience with interactive visualization (e.g. Tableau or Spotfire)
- Experience with advanced information technology (e.g. cloud computing, high-performance computing)
- Good communication and interpersonal skills
- Healthcare or pharmaceutical industry experience and business acumen
- Experience in healthcare administrative data, electronic health records, and disease/patient registries
Preferred Experience and Skills:
- Experience with the whole life cycle of rea-world evidence (planning, generation, and dissemination)
- Exposure with payer analytics and/or HTA methodologies for value-based contracting
- Experience with Big Data technology (such as Hadoop on AWS)
- Exposure/familiarity with cognitive computing/artifitial intelligence
- Exposure/familiarity in Natural Language Process (NLP) and social media data mining
Your role at Merck is integral to helping the world meet new breakthroughs that affect generations to come, and we’re counting on your skills and inventiveness to help make meaningful contributions to global medical advancement. At Merck, we’re inventing for life.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to email@example.com.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
Job: Outcomes Research -Health Econ
Employee Status: Regular
Travel: Yes, 5 % of the Time
Number of Openings:
Shift (if applicable):
Company Trade Name: Merck