Duke Science & Society Grant Writer
Science & Society Research Development Associate / Grant Writer
The Duke Initiative for Science & Society is seeking a Grant Writer to help identify funding opportunities and promote its strategic growth initiative. This individual will be responsible for executing the organization’s grant writing, reporting, and foundation cultivation processes. This individual will report to the Associate Director for Science & Society.
The Duke Initiative for Science & Society:
The Duke Initiative for Science & Society (http://www.scienceandsociety.duke.edu) is an interdisciplinary initiative that examines the wide-ranging and integral role of science in social institutions and culture. Science & Society integrates and fosters innovation in related research, education, and engagement at Duke by adopting a pluralistic approach to understanding how science and human endeavors intersect with a specific focus on ethical, legal, and social implications for science.
Facilitate the identification and development of faculty investigators and staff to pursue large, interdisciplinary funding opportunities identified by faculty, staff or by the incumbent. Oversee and support the development of complex funding proposals through effective interactions with all involved parties and by providing proposal management, proposal editing, and/or writing integration service, program development, budget development, and support.
- Drive ongoing foundation relationship deliverables and strategies;
- Manage the development of fundraising proposals, grant opportunities and reports;
- Create and submit grant applications, letters of inquiry (LOIs), emails, and reports ahead of deadline, including requested attachments and supporting documents;
- Conduct research on prospective and current foundations and compile data for funding opportunities;
- Prepare progress reports and updates for foundation, corporate, and individual funders;
- Maintain an up-to-date grants calendar and track deadlines for reports, letters of intent, and formal proposals;
- Cultivate relationships with current and prospective foundation contacts;
- Develop written products and materials for foundations and other key contacts.
- Bachelor’s degree in English, communications, business or a related field
- 3 years of grant writing or foundation relations experience or educational equivalent
- Excellent writing skills, including proficiency in persuasive and technical writing
- Excellent verbal interpersonal and communication skills and be able to effectively interact with individuals at all levels in the organization.
- Proven ability to make complex information understandable to a broad range of audiences is desirable.
- Demonstration of understanding of and familiarity with a broad range of science or technical subject matter is preferred.
- Dedication to S&S’s mission to maximize social benefit from scientific progress by making science more accessible, just, and better integrated into society.