Sr. Disaster Recovery Operations Lead
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. The difference between potential and achievement lies in the spark that fuels innovation and inventiveness; this is the space where Merck has codified its legacy for over a century. Merck’s success is backed by ethical integrity, forward momentum, and an inspiring mission to achieve new milestones in global healthcare.
Merck’s Information Technology organization partners with colleagues across the business to help serve our patients and customers around the world. Ours is a high energy team of dynamic, innovative individuals dedicated to advancing Merck’s contribution to global medical innovation by leveraging information and technology to efficiently advance the business by driving revenue and productivity.
Reporting directly to the Associate Director of Service Delivery Management, the Senior Specialist, Disaster Recovery Operations, in partnership with stakeholders will assist with DR plan development, facilitate diverse testing, create and communicate comprehensive post documentation. The Senior Specialist will provide input into DR strategy development. Working with technical and business teams, will resolve issues during and after DR testing. Additionally, will create and present executive-level dashboards on application recoverability, ensuring that application recoverability is known and understood.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Develops and implements DR testing strategies and interface with business and technical teams. Woks with IT infrastructure teams and business to develop DR test plans that will ensure that critical business applications can recover from a disaster within the specified timeframe.
- Ensures critical DR testing is planned, conducted and results are reported. This position is responsible for ensuring that all business critical applications are tested in accordance with SOP 0020. Documenting the test results and reporting the information to various management teams after each test segment.
- Ensures that there is follow-up and resolution to identified problems during testing and that those elements are retested.
- Sets and oversees the work activities of multiple contractors. This position provides direct oversight to 4-5 contract staff, and provides overall strategic direction in the area of DR test plan development and execution.
- The position is responsible for having an in-depth understanding of diverse technologies - understanding the business application functions and relationships to other systems and applications.
- Provides input into failover recovery strategies and acts as the SME for DR related issues.
- Escalation point of contact for DR activation and issues experienced during DR testing.
- Review test planning and results, identify and report gaps and ensure remediation is completed.
- Ensure DR Operations is aligned with changing technology introduced into the company’s landscape.
Education Minimum Requirement:
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in Computer Science, Information Systems or a related field.
- Specialized training / Certification in Disaster Recovery & Management in desirable.
Required Experience and Skills:
- At least 7 years of experience Disaster Recovery planning and execution.
- Strong understanding of recovery strategies and various infrastructure technologies (i.e. Backup, Networks, Database, Security and Operating Systems (Window, Linux etc).
- 7 years of experience in recovery testing, data collection, analysis and reporting with recommendations of alternate strategy options to improve recovery performance.
- Experience in Disaster Recovery Compliance Reporting and Internal & External audit support.
- Proven ability to develop and improve DR recovery strategies.
- Disaster Recovery management processes definition and enhancements.
- Demonstrated experience in improving resiliency related to application recoverability
- Demonstrated experience with Dr recovery to cloud based environments
Preferred Experience and Skills:
- Broad knowledge of systems integration and platform architecture.
- Communication & presentation skills, utilizing Power Point, Excel and other tools.
- Experienced in executive level presentations
- Strong team-building skills.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Managed staff, providing direction and input into performance
- Proven ability to work independently and drive results.
- Demonstrated experience with DR Planning tools a plus
Your role at Merck is integral to helping the world meet new breakthroughs that affect generations to come, and we’re counting on your skills and inventiveness to help make meaningful contributions to global medical advancement. At Merck, we’re inventing for life.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to email@example.com.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
Job: Service Delivery/Management
Employee Status: Regular
Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time
Number of Openings:
Shift (if applicable):
Company Trade Name: Merck