R&D, Senior Scientist, Biomass Programs
We are seeking an R&D, Senior Scientist for the SNL Biomass Program.
The responsibilities of this individual include:
- Management and development of programs in Biomass/Bioenergy R&D supported by key external sponsors including DOE (BETO, BER, and ARPA-E), DoD, CA State, industry, non-profit foundations, and others;
- Working closely with the leadership team of Energy and Homeland Security Programs including the Associate Lab Director (ALD) and the relevant Directors to develop a strategic vision and implementation plan for Sandia's Biomass/Bioenergy portfolio;
- Identifying and developing new opportunities (technologies, applications and sponsors) that leverage SNL's biomass core capabilities in biomass deconstruction and biochemical conversion, and algae production technologies.
- Working closely with the technical staff members and project support/management staff in E&HS program office, and mentoring early-career staff engaged in Biosciences R&D;
- Developing strategic relationships with program managers at DOE, other national laboratories, companies, and universities;
- Participating in Energy and Homeland Security and Biosciences leadership meetings, serving on the Bioscience LDRD Investment Area Team, and respresenting Sandia at national and international meetings and workshops organized by our sponsors;
- Spending significant time in all 3 locations - Livermore and Emeryville, CA, and Albuquerque, NM due to the cross-site structure of the Center;
- Frequent travel to sponsors and partner institutions.
This position can be located at the Livermore, CA, or Albuquerque, NM, site.
- PhD in Life or Physical Sciences, Engineering, or closely related discipline, or equivalent training and experience, with a minimum of 15 years related work experience in management of large and complex programs and/or organizations;
- Bachelor’s degree in STEM;
- Demonstrated track record of successfully managing and growing world-class research and development organizations;
- Demonstrated management and leadership skills necessary to communicate, present, direct, negotiate, influence and coordinate the programmatic activities with senior management and staff internal and external to the Laboratory;
- Experience in establishing effective collaborations with members of the scientific and industrial community, both domestic and international;
- Demonstrated operational record of accomplishment that includes utilization of best business practices and judgment, holding individuals accountable, cultivating innovation and risk-taking, as well as a commitment to constructive change and improvement;
- Ability to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance.
- Ability to provide technical and scientific leadership to a large team of researchers;
- Demonstrated leadership and team building skills, mature judgment and ability to approach and resolve difficult issues using creative problem-solving skills and decision-making techniques;
- Expertise in biofuels R&D;
- Familiarity with DOE, and national laboratory operations, procedures, and policies;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
Center 8600 performs exploratory science and develops technology to address pressing national needs in energy security, homeland security, and national defense. Through extensive partnerships inside and outside Sandia, the Center is focused on understanding and countering natural, traditional and engineered biological threats, as well as on developing alternative lignocellulosic and algal-derived transportation biofuels. Key sponsors include the DOE Office of Science (BER and BES), the DOE Office of Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy, ARPA-E, DoD, the Defense Threat Reduction Agency, DHS, and the NIH.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work withamazingimpact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations,strongmedical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) granted Q-level security clearance.
Sandia is required by DOE directive to conduct a pre-employment drug testing, and a pre-employment background review that includes personal reference checks, law enforcement record and credit checks, and employment and education verifications. Applicants for employment must be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by the DOE, rendering the inability to perform the duties assigned and resulting in termination of employment.
Equal opportunity employer/Disability/Vet/GLBT