Principal Scientist, Outcomes Research
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. The difference between potential and achievement lies in the spark that fuels innovation and inventiveness; this is the space where Merck has codified its legacy for over a century. Merck’s success is backed by ethical integrity, forward momentum, and an inspiring mission to achieve new milestones in global healthcare.
Merck is on a quest for cures and is committed to being the world’s premier, most research-intensive biopharmaceutical company. Today, we’re doubling down on this goal. Merck Research Laboratories is a true scientific research facility of tomorrow, and will take Merck’s leading discovery capabilities and world-class small molecule and biologics R&D expertise to create breakthrough science that radically changes the way we approach serious diseases.
The Center for Observational and Real-world Evidence at Merck is responsible for generating the evidence to support scientific and commercial value of Merck’s portfolio to optimize access, reimbursement, and patient outcomes. In collaboration with internal and external partners, Economic and Data Sciences (EDS) provides strategic and technical leadership to enable patient access, assure the value our products matter to customers, inform internal and external decisions, and shape methodology and external health policy and practice.
Under the direction of a EDS Executive Director, the Principal Scientist provides strategic development and use of industry-leading predictive and economic models to enhance our understanding of disease and to quantify and communicate the value of our products to patients, providers, and payers. The scientist provides model-based business insights across all phases of drug and vaccine development. In addition, she/he serves as the EDS lead for one or more value evidence teams to develop health economic, disease, and predictive models to enable business insights for the product.
- Utilize discovery, real world evidence, clinical trial and published data, and publically available information and tools to provide economic and integrated models to answer key questions in all phases of drug and vaccine development – Phase I through loss of data exclusivity.
- Advance the use of integrated quantitative approaches, focusing on economic, disease, and predictive modeling and simulation in partnership with other internal groups and external organizations.
- Liaise with statistics, pharmacokinetics, pharmacodynamics teams, IT, data management, and other quantitative groups in Merck to optimize strategy and align resources for their respective products.
- Maintain awareness of external data, models and IT environment to collaborate across relevant internal stakeholders to enhance Merck capabilities in modeling, simulation, and data visualization.
- Work closely with external (other companies, payers, academic and regulatory) collaborators and partners to assure that new methodologies, models and advanced analytics are fully utilized for our products.
- Partner in defining and implementing the EDS vision and strategy to develop an innovative, world class Center of Excellence in data science as well as predictive and economic modeling.
- Ensure sharing of work product and relevant best practices across the Merck enterprise.
- PhD (preferred) or Masters in Quantitative Sciences such as Health Economics, Mathematics, Predictive Modeling, Statistics, Operations Research, Physics, Engineering or closely related field with 5 or more years beyond PhD or 7 or more years beyond Masters of relevant experience in healthcare
- Exceptional leadership skills with experience in leading teams
- Experience in the design and development of model approaches to enable internal and external decisions
- Experience in managing resources and driving implementation
- Exceptional technical and problem solving skills
- Deep knowledge and experience in the application of predictive modeling to solve problems in the pharmaceutical or biotechnology industry to enable internal and external decisions
- Experience in presenting to Reimbursement, Regulatory or Health Agencies
- Strong record of scientific presentations and research publications in peer-reviewed journals
- Excellent communication skills (oral and written) are expected
Your role at Merck is integral to helping the world meet new breakthroughs that affect generations to come, and we’re counting on your skills and inventiveness to help make meaningful contributions to global medical advancement. At Merck, we’re inventing for life.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
Job: Outcomes Research -Health Econ
Employee Status: Regular
Travel: Yes, 5 % of the Time
Number of Openings:
Shift (if applicable):
Company Trade Name: Merck