Director, Access, Partnership & Policy
This is an exceptional opportunity to build an access and partnership architecture from the bottom up for a platform with immense transformational potential.
Moderna's has 10 clinical stage development candidates, and a further 9 preclinical development candidates that include prophylactic vaccines, therapeutic vaccines, intratumoral therapeutics, and therapeutics for rare diseases and cardiovascular disease. Many, address significant unmet needs for life threatening diseases and they are expected to generate significant demand for pre-approval access. These requests have already begun to arrive. In addition, the platform has the potential to address many unmet needs that are insufficiently commercially predictable or viable to justify standalone investment by Moderna. However, our goal is to make the technology and our know-how available for such targets, through target and funder appropriate business models that avoid distraction of the core development activities and vice versa.
This newly created role will report to the SVP Access and Partnership and work with the Chief Medical Officer's team and the therapeutic area teams to develop and operationalize the pre-registrational access principles and process as well as conceiving, building and operationalizing the business structure/model that will allow us to partner with relevant funders, experts and disease groups to develop medicines and vaccines for unpredictable and low value medicines and vaccines.
The pre-approval access policy and practice will involve working internally and externally with physicians, patient/disease groups ethicists, regulators, lawyers, and other pharma companies to establish and implement best practice for pre-approval access policy across the Moderna platform. The result will be a best in class, fair, transparent, data-based approach that meets the highest relevant legal and ethical standards and optimizes access without jeopardizing the development and future global benefit of the vaccine or medicine.
The innovative business models will involve establishing partnerships, structures, policies and procedures that will allow us to optimize access to mRNA based therapies and prevention and fulfil Moderna's commitment to impacting people's lives and enhancing human health globally as rapidly, broadly as possible.
Once the principles and practice of both are established they will need to be operationalized.
Here's What You'll Do:
- To work internally and externally with physicians, patient/disease groups ethicists, regulators, lawyers, and other pharma companies to design and operationalize best practice for pre-approval access policy across the Moderna platform.
- To develop partnerships and structures that enable external funding to be paired with Moderna expertise and technology to develop vaccines and medicines for targets with unpredictable or low commercial viability.
Here's What You'll Bring to the Table:
- One or more of: JD, MD, MPH, MBA or other qualifications and experience that provide expertise and experience in ethical, regulatory and legal aspects of pre-approval access
- Expertise and experience in building and implementing policy, & practice and players in US and ex-US
- Ability to identify and critically assess potential business models/legal entities best suited to the targets, funders and partners chosen for low commercial value targets
- Experience in external engagement with a range of stakeholders that could include global, regional and national health authorities and producers, ethicists, non-governmental organizations, philanthropists, foundations, biodefence, defense, and epidemic and pandemic preparedness and response agencies, development funds and agencies, as well as private individuals and organizations and other healthcare companies.
- Outstanding communication skills (verbal and written).
- Ability to manage multiple projects in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to effectively collaborate effectively in a dynamic, cross-functional matrix environment.
Here's What We'll Bring to the Table:
- Daily on-site catered lunches .
- Company-provided iPhone.
- Free parking, monthly subway pass or a subsidized commuter rail pass.
- Highly competitive healthcare coverage. Including: medical offered through BCBS (HMO/PPO), dental, and vision offered through VSP.
- Flexible Spending Accounts for medical expenses and dependent care expenses.
- 401k (traditional and Roth offered) with 50% match on first 6% deferred. Match is vested immediately.
- A suite of Moderna paid insurance coverage, including: life insurance, short-term and long-term disability
- Voluntary legal assistance plan
- 15 days' vacation and 7 sick days per year, in addition to a discretionary winter shut down and 11 company paid holidays.
- Adoption assistance, competitive parental leave, discount to local childcare centers, as well as access to Care.com
Why join Moderna Therapeutics
We are pioneering a new class of medicines made of messenger RNA, or mRNA. The potential implications of using mRNA as a drug are significant and far-reaching. It could transform not only how certain diseases are treated but also how medicines are discovered, developed and manufactured - at a breadth, scale and speed not common in the biopharma industry.
Since our founding in 2011, we have built the industry's leading mRNA technology platform, the infrastructure to accelerate drug discovery and speed early development, a rapidly expanding pipeline, and an unparalleled team. Our development pipeline includes development candidates for mRNA-based vaccines and therapies spanning several therapeutic areas, and we have multiple clinical trials already underway with other development candidates progressing toward the clinic. In addition, we have a number of discovery programs that are advancing toward the development stage.
We invite you to explore our site to learn more about our company and how we are advancing the promise of mRNA science to improve health and impact lives around the world.
Deliver on the promise of mRNA science to create a new generation of transformative medicines for patients.
Moderna is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person's race, color, gender, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation or any characteristic protected under applicable law. Moderna will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law.