Functional Genomics Lead (Principal Scientist)
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. The difference between potential and achievement lies in the spark that fuels innovation and inventiveness; this is the space where Merck has codified its legacy for over a century. Merck’s success is backed by ethical integrity, forward momentum, and an inspiring mission to achieve new milestones in global healthcare.
Merck is on a quest for cures and is committed to being the world’s premier, most research-intensive biopharmaceutical company. Today, we’re doubling down on this goal. Merck Research Laboratories is a true scientific research facility of tomorrow, and will take Merck’s leading discovery capabilities and world-class small molecule and biologics R&D expertise to create breakthrough science that radically changes the way we approach serious diseases.
We are seeking an experienced leader with expertise in drug development to join the Department of Genetics & Pharmacogenomics (GpGx) at MRL Boston. Our mission in GpGx is to leverage human genetics and cutting edge molecular biology tools to identify and functionally validate novel targets and pathways for therapeutic intervention. The successful candidate for this role will be responsible for directing research strategy and managing a team of scientists focused on drug target discovery in diseases areas including immunology, neuroscience, oncology, and cardiometabolic disease.
The responsibilities of the candidate include but are not limited to:
- Leadership and management of a team of scientists with broad expertise in functional genomics
- Overseeing the development of in vitro and in vivo assays using a variety of technologies for measuring disease-relevant phenotypes in arrayed and pooled CRISPR-based genetic screens
- Identifying new applications of genomics that can impact the drug development pipeline from target identification, through biologics generation and manufacturing
- Written and verbal communication of study results to project teams and leadership, including proposals for further experiments to validate key findings
- Ph.D. degree with 10 years of post-graduate experience.
- An understanding of human genetics and functional genomics tools used to identify disease-associated genetic variation.
- Experience with functional genomic tools including RNAi and CRISPR.
- Experience in the supervision and mentoring of scientific researchers, and demonstrated ability to work with efficiency and diplomacy as part of a team.
- Familiarity with NGS technology and its use in the interpretation of functional genomic screens.
- Strong communication and collaboration, including an ability to effectively communicate experimental design, results and conclusions.
- Biotech and/or pharmaceutical research experience.
- Experience with high-throughput genomic technologies.
- Experience screening high content chemical libraries.
- Analysis of genome-scale data types.
Your role at Merck is integral to helping the world meet new breakthroughs that affect generations to come, and we’re counting on your skills and inventiveness to help make meaningful contributions to global medical advancement. At Merck, we’re inventing for life.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to email@example.com.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
Job: Bio/Immuno Assay Development
Employee Status: Regular
Travel: Yes, 5 % of the Time
Number of Openings: 1
Shift (if applicable):
Company Trade Name: Merck