Relief Maintenance Manager
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. The difference between potential and achievement lies in the spark that fuels innovation and inventiveness; this is the space where Merck has codified its legacy for over a century. Merck’s success is backed by ethical integrity, forward momentum, and an inspiring mission to achieve new milestones in global healthcare.
Merck Manufacturing Division, MMD, is a team of dedicated, energetic individuals who are committed to being the most trusted supplier of pharmaceuticals and health products worldwide. Our facilities, along with our external contractors, suppliers, and partners, comprise an interdependent global manufacturing network that’s committed to delivering a compliant, reliable supply to customers and patients on time, every time, across the globe.
At Merck & Co., Inc manufacturing facility in Elkton, Virginia, we currently have a Relief Maintenance Manager position available at the Elkton Campus; which is located in the Shenandoah Valley along the Shenandoah River and the Blue Ridge Mountains. The facility is a short distance from major state universities: University of Virginia and James Madison University.
The Relief Maintenance Manager will work with the maintenance manager to coordinate all maintenance activities and manage the associated union hourly workforce to ensure attainment of business results on their respective shift. The Relief Maintenance Manager will act as the maintenance manager during periods of absence. The incumbent will effectively collaborate within a team environment with the responsibilities of maintenance execution, effective administration of personnel performance policies and procedures, management of change, and the identification and implementation of continuous improvement initiatives.
The Relief Maintenance Manager will work with operations and technical staff in supporting equipment startup, process and area qualification, SOP and training development, process validation, and the training and development of the maintenance staff to support commercial demand in various site operations. The Relief Maintenance Manager will perform and participate in safety, environmental, and quality audits and investigations and be involved in implementation of related corrective actions.
The Relief Maintenance Manager will ensure that supervised personnel maintain equipment Right the First Time per standard operating procedures and in compliance with cGMPs, safety, and environmental regulations. Due to the high impact nature of this role, it is essential that the incumbent demonstrate integrity, credibility, and flexibility in their daily performance so as to motivate others to do the same.
The Relief Maintenance Manager will perform the following tasks, but not be limited to: coaching and mentoring teams, interviews for human error related deviations, line clearance lockout/tagout and permit writing for maintenance activities, Safety Management Information Systems, daily safety check sheet/walkabout, actively lead daily team meetings, initiate batch sheets and SOP/PM/Calibration redlines and revisions, performance management, problem solving, coordinate the activities of multi-discipline employees (Control Technicians and Mechanics), SAP transactions, adherence to team performance and standardized work, and the ability to direct mechanics when needed.
- High School Diploma/GED and a minimum of twelve (12) years of experience in Manufacturing, Maintenance or Military environments
- Associate’s Degree in Engineering (Mechanical, Chemical, or similar discipline) or related scientific field (Chemistry, Physics, Math) and a minimum of seven (7) years of experience in Manufacturing, Maintenance or Military environments
- Bachelor's Degree or higher in Engineering (Mechanical, Chemical, or similar discipline) or related scientific field (Chemistry, Physics, Math) and a minimum of five (5) years of experience in Manufacturing, Maintenance or Military environments.
- Work experience in cGMP, manufacturing, maintenance environment or relevant military experience.
- Leadership and interpersonal skills to motivate direct reports and peers to excel and "own" the process
- Excellent communication and organizational skills
- Flexibility to perform various tasks to support the business.
- Reliability engineering, Predictive Maintenance (PdM) experience
- Process Safety Management (PSM), Mechanical Integrity (MI) experience
- Lean, Six Sigma, KATA problem solving skills
- Ability to prioritize, align and simply to focus on and obtain business results
- Previous experience training individuals in complex manufacturing / work environments
- Delta V, Provox and SAP experience is a plus
- Ethics and Integrity
- Management Relationships (Union experience a plus)
- Conflict Resolution
- Crucial Conversation
- Progressive Discipline
- Meeting Facilitation/Training/Presentation Skills
- Planning, Implementing, Directing, Control, Decision Making
- Provide feedback and perform DCOM interviews
- Direct supervisory experience of maintenance professionals.
Your role at Merck is integral to helping the world meet new breakthroughs that affect generations to come, and we’re counting on your skills and inventiveness to help make meaningful contributions to global medical advancement. At Merck, we’re inventing for life.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
Employee Status: Regular
Number of Openings:
Shift (if applicable):
Company Trade Name: Merck