Maintenance Mechanic - Production Support (Millsboro, DE)
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. The difference between potential and achievement lies in the spark that fuels innovation and inventiveness; this is the space where Merck has codified its legacy for over a century. Merck’s success is backed by ethical integrity, forward momentum, and an inspiring mission to achieve new milestones in global healthcare.
Merck Manufacturing Division, MMD, is a team of dedicated, energetic individuals who are committed to being the most trusted supplier of pharmaceuticals and health products worldwide. Our facilities, along with our external contractors, suppliers, and partners, comprise an interdependent global manufacturing network that’s committed to delivering a compliant, reliable supply to customers and patients on time, every time, across the globe.
Merck Animal Health is seeking a highly motivated individual as a Maintenance Mechanic in the Maintenance and Engineering Department at our Millsboro, Delaware Manufacturing and R&D Sites. The successful candidate will be responsible for installing, maintaining, troubleshooting, and repairing equipment, utility systems, and buildings needed for the testing, manufacturing, storage, and packaging of Animal Health Vaccines and related materials. The successful candidate shall perform general maintenance, mechanical, and electrical troubleshooting on equipment systems, and will also need to be experienced with controls within the plant and the facility. Responsibilities also include performing preventative maintenance on assigned equipment.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Direct involvement in the overall maintenance, inspection and repair of highly technical equipment, facilities, and utilities in a biopharmaceutical Industrial/Manufacturing environment.
- This position partners with manufacturing leaders to ensure production equipment needs are prioritized
- Responsible for preventative maintenance, corrective maintenance and troubleshooting of manufacturing and facility equipment/infrastructure.
- Routine Operations will include troubleshooting and maintaining equipment, performing root cause analysis on system failures and substandard equipment performance, using standard problem solving tools and methods to resolve machine and system issues in some cases under aseptic/clean room conditions.
- Experience with pneumatic and electronic controls, wiring methods, and instrumentation is required.
- Operate efficiently, all hand/power tools, test instruments and equipment normally used by this trade and maintain/return in good condition.
- Ability to perform work outside of trade to including general maintenance duties as assigned by Management.
- Safety requirements are strongly adhered to; this individual must be attentive to his/her own safety and the safety of others in the workplace.
- High School Diploma/ GED or Technical Trade School Diploma
- Minimum of 5 years industrial/manufacturing work experience
- Experience with general plumbing and pipefitting work
- Experience with fill lines and packaging equipment
- Experience with industrial washing and sterilization equipment
- Ability to read and interpret blue-prints/schematics
- Valid driver’s license
- Must be able to meet all physical requirements associated with this job, including but not limited to: lifting/carrying up to 50lbs; working from ladders and elevated platforms
- Experience working with OSHA general industry standards including hot work and lockout tag out
- Experience with the use of computerized systems and software programs such as Microsoft Excel, Outlook and Word.
- Participate in the current on-call rotation.
- Applicants should actively support, participate and embrace an empowered team culture and have excellent communication skills
- Applicant should have previously demonstrated strong team skills, flexibility, motivation, ability to troubleshoot/problem solve, with a strong emphasis around safety and compliance practices.
- Biotech / pharmaceutical GMP manufacturing industry experience.
- Experience with equipment including Autoclaves, Glass washers, Bioreactors, Steam in place systems, etc.
- Experience supporting a fast paced manufacturing environment is an advantage.
- Experience maintaining computerized records using current maintenance software (SAP)
- Working knowledge with an automated building management system (Siemens and JCI)
- Interaction with internal customers and external vendors
- Lean Six Sigma experience
- Any of the following trade licenses would be an advantage: Universal HVAC license; Masters electrician license: Wastewater operator’s license: Boiler operator’s license
Your role at Merck is integral to helping the world meet new breakthroughs that affect generations to come, and we’re counting on your skills and inventiveness to help make meaningful contributions to global medical advancement. At Merck, we’re inventing for life.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to email@example.com.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
Job: Production / Maintenance
Employee Status: Regular
Travel: Yes, 5 % of the Time
Number of Openings:
Shift (if applicable):
Company Trade Name: Merck