Global Faculty Recruitment at Life Sciences Institute, Zhejiang University
The Life Sciences Institute (LSI) is the first Special Academic Unit of Zhejiang University, located in the historical, cultural and most livable city of Hangzhou, China. Founded in October, 2009, Dr. Xin-Hua Feng was selected as its founding director and Dr. Kun-Liang Guan as the co-director. LSI has appointed a group of bioscientists with international vision to the Scientific Advisory Board that serves to advise healthy development of the Institute as well as guide research programs of individual investigators in the Institute.
LSI aims to be an internationally recognized biomedical research institution. We thus globally recruit top-tier scientists to establish labs focusing on fundamental questions in life sciences, especially those related to human health. We currently have about 30 faculty members in areas of cancer biology, regenerative medicine, inflammation biology, systems biology and structural biology. LSI is empowered by unparalleled freedom in research, graduate program, personnel employment, and financial flexibility within the university. We offer a state-of-the-art core facility, including next-generation sequencer, super-resolution microscope, multi-color flow cytometer, small animal in vivo imaging facility, zebrafish facility and a large number of shared facilities on campus.
LSI has achieved impressive accomplishments in the past several years. To further strengthen its international competitiveness, LSI is expanding its research programs with top scientists. We cordially invite outstanding scientists at all levels around the world to join LSI.
LSI has both full-time and part-time positions open to outstanding scientists regardless of nationality. Candidates who have demonstrated outstanding academic achievements and potentials in independent research are encouraged to apply for full-time positions at different levels. Although positions are open to all disciplines in biology and medicine, we are particularly interested in talents working on cancer biology, stem cell biology, inflammation biology, chemical biology, structural biology (esp. cryo-EM) and translational research. In addition, LSI will also recruit several world-class leaders into a part-time Distinguished Fellow program as described below.
Candidates should have an outstanding postdoctoral training record with high-impact publications and a strong potential to carry out independent and leading innovative research in biomedical sciences.
Candidates should have obtained (or are expected to obtain) tenured faculty positions with a strong research background. They should have internationally-recognized contributions and proven records of leading innovative research.
Candidates should be a leading scientist in the respective fields of biomedical research. Candidates are expected to build up his/her own research program that continues to lead in the world, and also have the vision to guide LSI toward international competitiveness and recognition.
* Annual salary and benefits: ≥500,000 CNY;
* Relocation allowance: 1-2 million CNY (tax exempt; qualification-based) to national or provincial talent program awardees;
* Research support funds:
- Institutional start-up support: ≥5 million CNY or negotiable;
- National scholarship fund: 2-3 million CNY offered to National “1000 Young-Talents Program” awardees by the Chinese national government;
- LSI will assist in securing other funding opportunities from the Natural Science Foundation of China, the Ministry of Science and Technology of China, and other organizations;
- Sustained and stable funding support will be provided after tenure promotion.
* Housing: Housing subsidies for purchasing or renting are available for all candidates. Chinese citizens are also eligible to purchase a subsidized apartment (~140m2) in the university housing subdivision;
* Graduate students are distributed to each lab on two-way choice (M.S. students) or rotation basis (Ph.D. students);
* Lab space: ≥200 m2;
* Postdoctoral fellowship: a generous financial support will be provided by the Institute to qualified postdoctoral fellows.
* A full CV including educational background, research experiences, a list of publications and funding record;
* A future research plan;
* Supporting materials for academic achievements (such as copies of representative publications);
* At least three letters of recommendation submitted directly by the referees.
All materials should be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Part-Time Scholar (Distinguished Fellow)
We are establishing a part-time PI mentor program recruiting world-class leaders in biomedical sciences to be Distinguished Fellows of LSI.
Fellows may be entitled as national endowed professors via National “1000-Talents Program” and “Foreign Experts 1000-Talents Program” of China. Fellows will serve as mentors guiding individual junior faculty in their research direction and progression. Fellows should also advise on the overall development of LSI. Fellows may build his/her own research group in the Institute.
We will provide attractive stipends, subsidized housing, start-up research funds and lab spaces.
Please email to email@example.com if you are interested.
Life Sciences Institute
866 Yuhangtang Road, Hangzhou, Zhejiang Province, 310058, China