Director, Target Protein Design Lead
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. The difference between potential and achievement lies in the spark that fuels innovation and inventiveness; this is the space where Merck has codified its legacy for over a century. Merck’s success is backed by ethical integrity, forward momentum, and an inspiring mission to achieve new milestones in global healthcare.
Merck is on a quest for cures and is committed to being the world’s premier, most research-intensive biopharmaceutical company. Today, we’re doubling down on this goal. Merck Research Laboratories is a true scientific research facility of tomorrow, and will take Merck’s leading discovery capabilities and world-class small molecule and biologics R&D expertise to create breakthrough science that radically changes the way we approach serious diseases.
Merck is currently seeking an individual to fill a Director level position to lead our Target Protein Design group in the Department of Biochemical Engineering and Structural Sciences at our West Point, PA site. This group utilizes multidisciplinary approaches to understand protein structure, function, and dynamics of novel targets in preparation for their advancement into our drug discovery pipeline. The job requires the candidate to work in cross-functional teams to understand the protein reagent needs of different functional areas and produce recombinant proteins to enable structure determination. Specific projects will involve cross-functional collaborations across diverse therapeutic areas that target proteins and pathways in oncology immunology, cardio metabolic diseases, infectious disease, and neuroscience. This leadship position requires critical thinking, collaboration, prioritzation, and the ability to bring in new technologies to enable generation and characterization of difficult to express proteins.
- Lead the Target Protein Design group's efforts in designing constructs, high through put expression screening strategies, purification, and characterization of various recombinant protein targets to structurally enable discovery chemistry efforts in a timely manner.
- Identify and develop new capabilities in the generation of complex target proteins including membrane proteins and multi-protein complexes to accelerate our ability to structurally enable complex targets.
- Work with CRO’s to outsource routine protein expression and production work.
- Strong partnering and collaboration with Structural Sciences colleagues to work as an integrated team for the purpose of enabling structure guided drug design.
- 7+ years relevant experience in protein sciences and/or structural biology with demonstrated leadership of teams
- Experience handling difficult to express proteins (i.e. membrane proteins, multi-protein complexes)
- Must have conducted outstanding research in his/her field of expertise that may be shared during the interview process.
- Function well within multidisciplinary teams and possess outstanding communication skills
- Strong problem solving and troubleshooting skills
- Strong leadership and interpersonal skills
- Experience with alternate expression systems is a plus (i.e. cell free expression).
- A strong track record of peer-reviewed publications and research presentations is a requirement.
Your role at Merck is integral to helping the world meet new breakthroughs that affect generations to come, and we’re counting on your skills and inventiveness to help make meaningful contributions to global medical advancement. At Merck, we’re inventing for life.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to email@example.com.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
Job: Molecular Discovery - DPS
Employee Status: Regular
Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time
Number of Openings:
Shift (if applicable):
Company Trade Name: Merck