(Contract) Scientist, Computational Nanoscience
Moderna is seeking a modeler with a background in coarse-grained molecular dynamics simulations to tackle challenging problems in drug product delivery and efficacy. This person will be responsible for in silico characterization and prediction of our lipid nanoparticles for drug delivery. He/she will work closely with our drug delivery group to understand mechanism of action for delivery and optimize for efficacy. This one-year contract position is based in Cambridge, MA with the option, but no guarantee, for renewal or transition to a permanent position. This position reports to the Senior Scientist in Computational Chemistry.
Here's What You'll Do:
- Characterize novel lipid nanoparticles (LNPs) structures using state of the art coarse-grained molecular dynamics simulations
- Correlate predicted LNP structure to function and efficacy of drug product
- Discover new computational methodology, create workflows and share successful methods
- Drive the development of next generation drug delivery vehicles, including LNPs and polymers
- Setup, install, and maintain all necessary software packages to perform coarse-grained simulations, e.g., MARTINI and GROMACS
- Collaborate with groups across the company to support research projects, including Delivery Innovation and Formulations
- Apply chemistry, physics, and engineering knowledge to draw rigorous, actionable conclusions from complex data
- Communicate findings internally and externally
Here's What You'll Bring to the Table:
- Ph.D. and 0-2 years of experience in physical chemistry, chemical engineering, biophysics, bioengineering or related field
- Extensive experience in coarse-grained molecular dynamics simulations, preferably of lipids
- Proficient in at least one programming or scripting language, such as Python or Perl
- Comfort working in a Linux-based High Performance Computing environment
- Willingness to learn and tackle abstract problems
- Comfortable operating in a rapidly-changing environment and making actionable conclusions from incomplete data
- Creative problem solver able to draw conclusions from complex datasets, and present them in a clear and understandable way
- Strong written and oral communication skill
Why join Moderna Therapeutics
We are pioneering a new class of medicines made of messenger RNA, or mRNA. The potential implications of using mRNA as a drug are significant and far-reaching. It could transform not only how certain diseases are treated but also how medicines are discovered, developed and manufactured - at a breadth, scale and speed not common in the biopharma industry.
Since our founding in 2011, we have built the industry's leading mRNA technology platform, the infrastructure to accelerate drug discovery and speed early development, a rapidly expanding pipeline, and an unparalleled team. Our development pipeline includes development candidates for mRNA-based vaccines and therapies spanning several therapeutic areas, and we have multiple clinical trials already underway with other development candidates progressing toward the clinic. In addition, we have a number of discovery programs that are advancing toward the development stage.
We invite you to explore our site to learn more about our company and how we are advancing the promise of mRNA science to improve health and impact lives around the world.
Deliver on the promise of mRNA science to create a new generation of transformative medicines for patients.
Moderna is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person's race, color, gender, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation or any characteristic protected under applicable law. Moderna will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law.