Scientist, Delivery Innovation
This role is an opportunity to join Moderna's Delivery Innovation team as a key scientific leader advancing novel nanoparticle delivery approaches and shaping the pulmonary research modality of Moderna's mRNA portfolio. The successful candidate will be responsible for driving scientific innovation and discovery in the lab to enable both partnered and proprietary programs. A strong understanding of materials science, nanotechnology preparation techniques, the interplay of materials with process and particles, and biophysical/chemical materials characterization is required. Experience within the drug delivery field is required, with pulmonary and/or nasal delivery of nucleic acids and delivery devices strongly preferred. Ability to work in a fast-paced, interdisciplinary environment is essential. This position has significant visibility and potential for growth in a dynamic team.
Here's What You'll Do:
- Provide scientific leadership in developing and executing on novel nanoparticles for pulmonary and nasal delivery of Moderna's mRNA therapeutics through innovative particle formulation and process development approaches
- Perform biophysical and chemical characterization of novel, mRNA-containing nanoparticles, including size, surface properties, mRNA encapsulation, mRNA integrity and storage stability
- Work within a cross-functional team of chemists, engineers, formulation scientists and biologists to design and optimize nanoparticles for respiratory delivery
- Contribute to the design and support of in vitro and in vivo studies
- Proactively enable scientific and strategic collaboration across the platform to further scientific discussions and research ideas to advance the mRNA delivery platform
- Design and execute robust lab experiments, interpret data, communicate findings and maintain a high-quality lab notebook
Here's What You'll Bring to the Table:
- Ph.D. with 0 to 2 years or M.S. with 5 to 8 years of industry experience in drug delivery, nanoparticle preparation/characterization, formulation development; nucleic acid / mRNA and respiratory delivery experience is preferred
- Strong foundation in chemical engineering, materials science, chemistry or related field
- Exceptional scientific, technical and problem-solving skills with the ability to design experiments and interpret data independently with a strong working knowledge of statistical analysis tools, including JMP
- Expertise in nanoparticle synthesis approaches and concepts, nanoparticle characterization techniques and instrumentation, as well as biological considerations governing nanoparticle delivery specific to pulmonary or nasal delivery
- Enthusiastic, flexible and motivated team player with demonstrated scientific creativity and curiosity, and ability to lead by example
- Strong written and verbal communication skills with attention to detail
- Desire for continued growth opportunities, including willingness to learn new skills and contribute across cross-functional areas
Here's What We'll Bring to the Table:
- Daily on-site catered lunches
- Company-provided iPhone
- Free parking, monthly subway pass or a subsidized commuter rail pass
- Highly competitive healthcare coverage. Including: medical offered through BCBS (HMO/PPO), dental, and vision offered through VSP
- Flexible Spending Accounts for medical expenses and dependent care expenses
- 401k (traditional and Roth offered) with 50% match on first 6% deferred. Match is vested immediately
- A suite of Moderna paid insurance coverage, including: life insurance, short-term and long-term disability
- Voluntary legal assistance plan
- 15 days of vacation and 7 sick days per year, in addition to a discretionary winter shut down and 11 company paid holidays
- Adoption assistance, competitive parental leave, discount to local childcare centers, as well as access to Care.com
Why join Moderna Therapeutics
We are pioneering a new class of medicines made of messenger RNA, or mRNA. The potential implications of using mRNA as a drug are significant and far-reaching. It could transform not only how certain diseases are treated but also how medicines are discovered, developed and manufactured - at a breadth, scale and speed not common in the biopharma industry.
Since our founding in 2011, we have built the industry's leading mRNA technology platform, the infrastructure to accelerate drug discovery and speed early development, a rapidly expanding pipeline, and an unparalleled team. Our development pipeline includes development candidates for mRNA-based vaccines and therapies spanning several therapeutic areas, and we have multiple clinical trials already underway with other development candidates progressing toward the clinic. In addition, we have a number of discovery programs that are advancing toward the development stage.
We invite you to explore our site to learn more about our company and how we are advancing the promise of mRNA science to improve health and impact lives around the world.
Deliver on the promise of mRNA science to create a new generation of transformative medicines for patients.
Moderna is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person's race, color, gender, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation or any characteristic protected under applicable law. Moderna will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law.