Informatics, IT Specialist
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. The difference between potential and achievement lies in the spark that fuels innovation and inventiveness; this is the space where Merck has codified its legacy for over a century. Merck’s success is backed by ethical integrity, forward momentum, and an inspiring mission to achieve new milestones in global healthcare.
Merck Manufacturing Division, MMD, is a team of dedicated, energetic individuals who are committed to being the most trusted supplier of pharmaceuticals and health products worldwide. Our facilities, along with our external contractors, suppliers, and partners, comprise an interdependent global manufacturing network that’s committed to delivering a compliant, reliable supply to customers and patients on time, every time, across the globe.
Our ability to excel depends on the integrity, knowledge, imagination, skill, diversity and teamwork of an individual like you. To this end, we strive to create an environment of mutual respect, encouragement and teamwork. As part of our global team, you’ll have the opportunity to collaborate with talented and dedicated colleagues while developing and expanding your career.
At Merck’s campus in Elkton, Virginia, we currently have an Informatics/IT Specialist position available supporting a GMP regulated analytical laboratory. The facility is located in the Shenandoah Valley along the Shenandoah River and the Blue Ridge Mountains a short distance from the University of Virginia and James Madison University.
The Informatics/IT Specialist primary focus will be a variety of software for individual laboratory instrumentation systems and/or LIMS [LabWare] (with potential for other systems such as SAP). The resource will be responsible for completing whole projects, participate in other projects by completing tasks, as well as responsibility for on-going system administration. This position requires advanced technical skills and the ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously. This position will work within a team of similar positions.
- Depending on the skillset of the successful candidate, the primary focus of responsibilities will be either on LIMS [LabWare] or laboratory instrumentation systems (or some combination thereof).
- Effectively manage projects from start-to-finish. Act as primary point-of-contact for projects supporting internal customers.
- Projects include serving as IT specialist for upgrade of a laboratory instrument. Tasks may include: Participation in writing system requirements, configuring system software, development of software testing scripts to verify requirements are met, etc.
- Translate user requirements and compliance requirements into technical specifications, develop value added system solutions, and develop software testing steps to verify solution meets requirements.
- Participate in deployment and maintenance of laboratory information management system (LabWare LIMS) as well as assisting users and occasional data retrieval.
- Work and collaborate with a complex network of teams and individuals throughout all levels of the company (including those from laboratories, other IT technical support teams, corporate governing teams) as well as external groups such as vendors.
- Identify and leverage opportunities to continually improve the quality and effectiveness of data management systems, processes, and standards.
- Participate in the design of the processes, and the implementation of data integrity improvements.
- Support change management for data integrity and participate in maintaining a strong data integrity culture.
- BS degree required, with concentrations in Computer Science, Science, Engineering, or related field.
- Technical knowledge of computerized systems / IT
- Computer coding or administration of computer system
- Applied professional work experience in one of the following areas:
- GMP regulated area such as pharmaceutical laboratory, manufacturing, or technical support
- Laboratory or computer controlled instrumentation
- Computer systems with controls for a regulated industry
- Administration of LIMS, database, and/or laboratory instrumentation
- Experience with data retrieval from Oracle databases
- Strong working knowledge of laboratory, manufacturing and support systems, and associated business processes
- Familiarity with System Development Life Cycle methodologies
- Knowledge of GxP and regulatory requirements for pharmaceuticals
Your role at Merck is integral to helping the world meet new breakthroughs that affect generations to come, and we’re counting on your skills and inventiveness to help make meaningful contributions to global medical advancement. At Merck, we’re inventing for life.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to email@example.com.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
Job: Quality Operations
Employee Status: Regular
Travel: Yes, 5 % of the Time
Number of Openings:
Shift (if applicable):
Company Trade Name: Merck