Sr./Research Associate, Delivery Innovation
Moderna is seeking a Research Associate/Sr. Research Associate who will be responsible for the preparation and characterization of mRNA-containing nanoparticles within a dynamic and highly interdisciplinary environment. The successful candidate will work within a larger team of chemists, engineers, formulation scientists and associates while mentoring and training junior members of the Delivery Innovation team. The applicant will be responsible for executing lab experiments, reporting results and maintaining a high-quality lab notebook. Hands-on experience with nucleic acid formulation techniques and analysis of nucleic acid-containing formulations is required. Experience with polymeric nanoparticle preparation techniques, biophysical/chemical characterization, and surface modification is preferred. The successful candidate must have a foundation in chemical, biological, or biochemical sciences or materials engineering with experience in the drug delivery field. Applicants should be flexible team members able to function in a highly collaborative and fast-paced environment.
Here's What You'll Do:
- Preparation, purification, and functionalization of novel nanoparticle formulations for mRNA delivery.
- Characterization of mRNA encapsulated within various novel formulations, including extraction/quantification, stability and release.
- Biophysical and chemical characterization of novel formulations using analytical techniques such as dynamic light scattering, zeta potential, electrophoresis and HPLC.
- Analysis and interpretation of structural data generated using transmission electron microscopy.
- Preparation of formulations for in vitro and in vivo analysis.
- Query the literature for particle strategies and adapt new protocols into practice.
- Maintain an accurate and detailed record of experiments.
- Communicate research and closely collaborate with other members within the Delivery Innovation department and broadly with departments throughout the company.
Here's What You'll Bring to the Table:
- BS/BA with 0-2 years industrial drug delivery, nanoparticle formulation, or nucleic acid delivery experience. SRA candidates are required to have a MS with 0-2 years of experience and/or a BS/BA with 2-5 years of experience.
- Strong foundation in chemistry, biochemistry, biology, chemical engineering or related field.
- Hands-on experience with nucleic acid detection and quantification.
- Experience with methods for nanoparticle synthesis, characterization, and functionalization.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Flexible, motivated team player with an eagerness to learn new skills and the ability to work independently and effectively in a highly dynamic environment.
- Ability to interact well with other groups and must be able to communicate results to a broad audience.
- Preferred: Organic chemistry or bioconjugation experience.
- Preferred: Experience with in vitro/in vivo study design and data analysis.
Here's What We'll Bring to the Table:
- Daily catered lunches on-site.
- Company-provided iPhone.
- Free parking, monthly subway pass or a subsidized commuter rail pass.
- Highly competitive healthcare coverage. Including: medical offered through BCBS (HMO/PPO), dental, and vision offered through VSP.
- Flexible Spending Accounts for medical expenses and dependent care expenses.
- 401k (traditional and Roth offered) with 50% match on first 6% deferred. Match is vested immediately.
- A suite of Moderna paid insurance coverage, including: life insurance, short-term and long-term disability
- Voluntary legal assistance plan
- 15 days' vacation per year, in addition to a discretionary winter shut down and 11 company paid holidays.
- 7 sick days per year
- Adoption assistance, competitive parental leave, discount at KinderCare, Little Sprouts and Champions Centers, as well as access to Care.com
Why join Moderna Therapeutics
We are pioneering a new class of medicines made of messenger RNA, or mRNA. The potential implications of using mRNA as a drug are significant and far-reaching. It could transform not only how certain diseases are treated but also how medicines are discovered, developed and manufactured - at a breadth, scale and speed not common in the biopharma industry.
Since our founding in 2011, we have built the industry's leading mRNA technology platform, the infrastructure to accelerate drug discovery and speed early development, a rapidly expanding pipeline, and an unparalleled team. Our development pipeline includes development candidates for mRNA-based vaccines and therapies spanning several therapeutic areas, and we have multiple clinical trials already underway with other development candidates progressing toward the clinic. In addition, we have a number of discovery programs that are advancing toward the development stage.
We invite you to explore our site to learn more about our company and how we are advancing the promise of mRNA science to improve health and impact lives around the world.
Deliver on the promise of mRNA science to create a new generation of transformative medicines for patients.
Moderna is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person's race, color, gender, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation or any characteristic protected under applicable law. Moderna will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law.