Senior Scientist, Analytical Development – Animal Health
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. The difference between potential and achievement lies in the spark that fuels innovation and inventiveness; this is the space where Merck has codified its legacy for over a century. Merck’s success is backed by ethical integrity, forward momentum, and an inspiring mission to achieve new milestones in global healthcare.
Merck’s Animal Health (MAH) Division works to improve the health of animals around the world through collaborative partnerships and a deep sense of responsibility towards our customers, consumers, animals, society, and planet. This team of energetic, independent thinkers offers one of the industry’s most innovative portfolios of products, services, and technologies that serve to prevent, treat, and control diseases across all major farm and companion animal species both domestically and internationally.
Merck Animal Health, a global, research-driven company that develops, manufactures, and markets a broad range of veterinary medicines and services, is seeking Analytical Development Scientists for our R&D facility in New Jersey. This Senior Scientist will support the progression of molecules from discovery throughout the development process, transforming drug candidates into marketed products for Merck Animal Health, a company whose products enable pets and people to enjoy their time together and help keep livestock healthy to ensure a safe, sustainable, and high-quality food supply.
The professional in this position will:
- Support the analytical development of high priority drug candidates.
- Work in a team environment on multiple, concurrent projects and experiments of moderate complexity.
- Execute studies to characterize key physical and chemical properties of active pharmaceutical ingredients, excipients, and formulated drug products (e.g., tablets, solutions, implants).
- Maintain high-quality documentation, independently analyze and interpret data, and prepare technical reports and external publications (as appropriate).
- Work as part of a team to develop, characterize, and apply new analytical methods, generating data to guide product development and secure successful commercialization of new veterinary medicinal products.
- Use non-routine approaches to solve challenging technical problems related to purity, stability, packaging, and manufacturing. Techniques often used by persons in these positions include separation techniques (e.g., HPLC, GC, TLC), in-vitro dissolution, general/wet chemical methods, physical characterizations (e.g., particle size analysis, SEM and light microscopy), spectroscopy (e.g., UV/Vis and FTIR) and thermal methods (e.g., DSC, TGA).
- Opportunities are available for candidates with intermediate to advanced levels of experience.
- The candidate will have demonstrated good laboratory skills and a solid understanding of analytical and physical chemistry.
- This position requires the ability to work well in a highly collaborative environment as well as excellent oral and written communication skills.
With the direction of management, the Senior Scientist participates in project teams and collaborates with key partner groups in the successful and efficient execution of project and department goals. Moreover, this individual will help develop junior staff and embrace cultural change to support and realize the strategic vision of the organization.
Education Minimum Requirement:
- Masters degree required
- Ph.D. in Chemistry, Pharmacy or other scientific discipline preferred
Required Experience and Skills:
- Minimum 3 years previous pharmaceutical experience for masters candidate - Ph.D. candidates can be entry level.
- Qualified candidates must have strong technical skills and a demonstrated track record of successfully contributing to the development of pharmaceutical raw materials/actives and/or drug products for animal or human health.
- Experience should include high proficiency in analytical laboratory techniques.
- Ability to work under the general direction of a laboratory supervisor is required.
Preferred Experience and Skills:
- The ideal candidate will have a personal drive for results and a demonstrated history of achievement in pharmaceutical research & development.
- The candidate should have strong oral and written communication skills, including experience authoring technical documents.
- An ability to multitask is important in this role.
- Attention to detail, customer focus, and continuous improvement are also important to this role.
Your role at Merck is integral to helping the world meet new breakthroughs that affect generations to come, and we’re counting on your skills and inventiveness to help make meaningful contributions to global medical advancement. At Merck, we’re inventing for life.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
MAH2018, SHPE, NSBE
Job: Preclinical Dev Generic
Employee Status: Regular
Travel: Yes, 5 % of the Time
Number of Openings:
Shift (if applicable):
Company Trade Name: Merck