Director, Policy Research
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. The difference between potential and achievement lies in the spark that fuels innovation and inventiveness; this is the space where Merck has codified its legacy for over a century. Merck’s success is backed by ethical integrity, forward momentum, and an inspiring mission to achieve new milestones in global healthcare.
Merck is on a quest for cures and is committed to being the world’s premier, most research-intensive biopharmaceutical company. Today, we’re doubling down on this goal. Merck Research Laboratories is a true scientific research facility of tomorrow, and will take Merck’s leading discovery capabilities and world-class small molecule and biologics R&D expertise to create breakthrough science that radically changes the way we approach serious diseases.
The Director, Policy Research, is responsible for investigating, strategizing and developing evidence that addresses Access challenges to Merck and policy decision-making customers. The position combines knowledge of research, market access and policy to clearly articulate the value proposition of our medicines and vaccines to governments, payers and health care providers. The Director will work closely with product line leaders to translate the impact of current and expected policy changes into actionable research programs to impact how policies are applied to our medicines and vaccines. This work will entail forward-looking assessments and scenario planning to investigate how policy changes in various systems might influence the success of our business. Specifically, the Policy Research Director will be responsible, working cross-functionally, for directing and implementing studies that will inform policy dialogues with concrete impact on legislation, rules and standards for innovative medicines and vaccines.
With a primary focus on developed markets, the Director will require a deep understanding of the trends in US healthcare policies and markets with established Health Technology Assessment (HTA) procedures. The Director will be responsible to systematically share that information across the Company with identified functions. In addition to internal knowledge-building, the Director will work with cross –functional teams responsible for observational and real world research to design and utilize research that will address policy concerns. Such research efforts will address questions related to overall effectiveness of patient care, identification of areas for improvement in health care systems (both in the quality of care and the efficient use of healthcare resources), and the impact of various policies on aspects of the health care system.
Working with the Medical Policy & Quality Research team, the person in this role will be responsible to build and maintain external institutional relationships in specific policy areas that impact the Company. The key policy issue areas include relationships with institutions that will 1) influence real world evidence standards and methodologies; 2) impact how such research is utilized; and 3) investigate how observational and real world evidence impacts access decision making across healthcare systems. External institutional relationships are also to be maintained in order to shape how policy changes are implemented in the field. By articulating the role that Merck medicines and vaccines play in the healthcare system, the person in this position will enhance Merck’s contribution to the development of value-based healthcare systems and encourage evidence-based decision making practices.
- Masters or Doctoral level degeree in relevant discipline (Health Services/Policy Research, PharmD, Health Economics, Public Policy,).
- Minimum ten years’ pharmaceutical industry experience, preferably with intimate knowledge of multiple health care systems and marketplaces.
- Expert understanding of relevant areas of policy debate, policy-making and policy-shaping actions at mutiple levels of government
- Expert knowledge of HTA, pricing & reimbursement systems in key markets
- Expertise in addressing payer perspectives and integrating successfully access imperatives (e.g.5 years’ experience in market Access or similar functions for pharmaceutical industry)
- Ability to build product knowledge quickly and effectively, as well as deep knowledge of the pharmaceutical product development process
- Strong leadership skills; ability to assert leadership in virtual teams without direct reporting lines;
- Internal/External consulting and influencing skills; client servicing skills
- Excellent written and oral communication skills; ability to tailor communications materials to specific audiences; fluency in English
- Ability to work cross-culturally and cross-functionally and internationally to align perspectives and drive to agreed-upon goals
- Demonstrated strategic thinking skills and ability to identify and drive creative approaches to changing external conditions
- Excellent planning, problem solving, and time management skills
- Strong track record of high performance with results achieved with basis in a culture of compliance & ethical business practices
Your role at Merck is integral to helping the world meet new breakthroughs that affect generations to come, and we’re counting on your skills and inventiveness to help make meaningful contributions to global medical advancement. At Merck, we’re inventing for life.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
Job: Quantitative Sciences Generic
Employee Status: Regular
Travel: Yes, 20 % of the Time
Number of Openings:
Shift (if applicable):
Company Trade Name: Merck