2018 Image Data Scientist Intern
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. Today, we are building a new kind of healthcare company – one that is ready to help create a healthier future for all of us.
Our ability to excel depends on the integrity, knowledge, imagination, skill, diversity and teamwork of an individual like you. To this end, we strive to create an environment of mutual respect, encouragement and teamwork. As part of our global team, you will have the opportunity to collaborate with talented and dedicated colleagues while developing and expanding your career.
The intern in Applied Mathematics and Modeling group in Global Data Science department will develop techniques for quantitative analysis of 2D, 3D multi-dimensional images towards development of biomarkers in biological datasets to support drug development. The researcher will apply machine learning, deep learning, data mining, image processing and signal processing techniques to extract meaningful information from high-dimensional, multi-modality datasets. This intern research will be an opportunity to apply cutting edge data analysis techniques to the emerging field with exciting and impactful applications in drug discovery and development.
- Must be currently pursuing MS or PhD candidate in one of the following areas: Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, Biomedical Engineering, Bioinformatics, Applied Mathematics, Statistics
- Should be able to work full time for 9-12 weeks in summer of 2018 and return back to school in fall of 2018 on completion of the assignment.
- Knowledge in mathematical algorithms in areas such as machine learning, deep learning, pattern recognition, data mining, image processing, signal processing, bioinformatics, statistics
- Research experience in biomedical image processing (such as histology-based, CT, MR etc.) to medical, healthcare and/or pharmaceutical applications
- Research experience in analyzing multimodal datasets
- Ability to plan and schedule daily computing, research and reporting activities in order to meet established timetables and objectives
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills are required.
- Experience in software packages such as Matlab, Python, R, C++, Java and deep learning packages such as TensorFlow, Caffe, Keras, Torch, MXNet etc. is preferred
Your role at Merck is integral to helping the world meet new breakthroughs that affect generations to come, and we’re counting on your skills and inventiveness to help make meaningful contributions to global medical advancement. At Merck, we’re inventing for life.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
Job: Administrative Svcs Generic
Employee Status: Temporary
Travel: Yes, 5 % of the Time
Number of Openings:
Shift (if applicable):
Company Trade Name: Merck