Product Design Director
When you join us at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you'll be part of a smart, driven team that shares your passion for exploration and discovery. With revenues of $20 billion and the largest investment in R&D in the industry, we give our people the resources and opportunities to make significant contributions to the world.
Location/Division Specific Information
The Life Sciences Solutions Group (LSG) is an important part of the company's total value proposition. With an innovative and broad life sciences portfolio, a strong presence at bench, best-in-class web and e-commerce channels, industry-leading on-site supply center coverage and one of the most technically experienced sales and support teams, LSG brings incredible core strength to the broader company.
How will you make an impact?
The Product Design Director is responsible for establishing the vision and strategy for Thermo Fisher Scientific's product design group and for executing on its commitments to develop and deliver world class products that delight our customers.
The Director will work directly with R&D and Product Management to ensure that our instruments and devices meet our customer's needs, are easy to use, are aesthetically pleasing, and deliver a best in class user experience. In addition, the Director will collaborate closely with commercial functions and external firms to establish our corporate-level user experience strategy for not only instruments and their companion cloud-based applications, but also our entire digital presence.
In partnership with the Chief Scientific Officer's (CSO) Office, the Director will align design strategy across the broader Thermo Fisher Scientific organization and play a key role in our efforts to grow our Digital Science strategy. Based in Carlsbad California, the role requires effective collaboration across business, functional, and global geographic boundaries that include Research and Development (R&D), eBusiness, and IT sites in the U.S., Mexico, Asia, and Europe.
What will you do?
- Provide design strategy guidance and direction for multiple business groups
- In partnership with the CSO Office, implement a scalable organizational design to deliver value-added services
- Develops and mentors the team to build organizational bench strength; recognizes and cultivates talent
- Strategizes the execution of the team's activities by ensuring consistency of process, quality of information and timely execution in adherence with the organization's Product Commercialization Process (PCP)
- Strategizes and partners across businesses and functions in setting priorities, driving developments and leading innovation
- Manage project schedules and budgets
- Lead regular design reviews and participate in team-wide design initiatives
- Manage design processes to ensure excellence in delivery and execution
- Communicate functional/team vision, strategy and direction to enhance department efficiency and engagement
How will you get here?
- Bachelor's Degree in a relevant discipline, Master's Degree preferred
- Minimum of 10 years work experience in at least one relevant design discipline: user experience design or industrial design
- Minimum of 7 years of experience as a design manager or director, building and scaling design across organizations
- Demonstrated strong leadership skills working within a complex global organization
- Experience working in products for life sciences or healthcare preferred
- Demonstrated ability to communicate to various disciplines across the organization
- Passionate thought-leader in how design can help enable and accelerate brand loyalty and enhance user experience
At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 65,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission—enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer.
Thermo Fisher Scientific is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.