Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. The difference between potential and achievement lies in the spark that fuels innovation and inventiveness; this is the space where Merck has codified its legacy for over a century. Merck’s success is backed by ethical integrity, forward momentum, and an inspiring mission to achieve new milestones in global healthcare.
Merck Manufacturing Division, MMD, is a team of dedicated, energetic individuals who are committed to being the most trusted supplier of pharmaceuticals and health products worldwide. Our facilities, along with our external contractors, suppliers, and partners, comprise an interdependent global manufacturing network that’s committed to delivering a compliant, reliable supply to customers and patients on time, every time, across the globe.
The Director Capital Procurement will lead the Merck Animal Health (MAH) Capital Procurement team to develop and execute sourcing efforts and initiatives driving value, quality and innovation to support MAH operations globally.
He/She will execute projects and monitor the execution of initiatives in the MAH Global Capital Procurement team that support Merck’s assets delivery and management globally. He/She’ll deliver cost savings, improve supply capacity & reliability, and support MAH Global Supplier Management initiatives including, Risk Management, Supplier performance, Economic Inclusion & Supplier Diversity.
The successful candidate will develop and maintain strong relationships with key leaders within Global Animal Health Manufacturing (GAHM), MAH Global Supplier Management, Merck Manufacturing Division (MMD) - Global Engineering Services, Supplier Development & Performance Management (SD&PM), Quality, Finance and other corporate functions.
Key Role & Responsibilities:
- Lead & coordinate cross functional teams to develop multi-year category strategies
- Execute initiatives and sourcing projects that support the delivery of assets to MAH, while mitigating risk, bringing the project management discipline, execution and stakeholders relationship management skills required to manage various initiatives and projects within the team.
- Provide progress status briefings to management, project teams and executives, proactively highlighting any issues with projects, timelines, etc. that require awareness or attention.
- Provide leadership and direction to accelerate MAH Capital Procurement team performance through effective project management and communications, strategy development, execution and focused team performance.
- Participate in the business strategy and organizational development.
- Ensure supply chain/sourcing strategy, practices and initiatives are aligned with the company’s business objectives and support the company’s growth strategy.
- Implement strategic direction for MAH Global Supplier Management initiatives and execute tactical procurement processes; work with GAHM leadership in the establishment, communication and implementation of business goals and to achieve business targets. Serve as a resource regarding processes, procedures and systems for procurement function
- Support/lead selection of suppliers to ensure appropriate quality, service and productivity improvement; ensure that all legal contract requirements are met.
- Manage relationships with suppliers and to take appropriate actions by implementing contract negotiation, communication with suppliers and/or or modifying procedures to ensure quality, schedule, safety metrics and risk mitigation measures.
- Embrace a style of accountability and continuous improvement, and act with a sense of urgency.
Primary activities include, but are not limited to:
Category scope - Direct responsibility for MAH Capital Procurement category and supplier relationships.
Leadership – Lead and manage the MAH Capital Procurement staff. As a key leader of a category of spend, accountable for development and implementation of robust sourcing strategies that link to core business deliverables while leveraging the marketplace and supplier community.
Procurement Leadership - Provide the leadership, strategy and policy for the function building a high performance engagement model with the business and regions.
Organizational Development – Fosters an image of high quality procurement practices demonstrating direct accountability for spend management, category management, and execution. Partners with stakeholders outside of MAH Global Supplier Management to ensure alignment of strategies.
Stakeholder Management - Work in a way that positively engages the support of business colleagues using problem solving, transparency, and proactive communication skills. Build sourcing management pipeline, ensuring stakeholder alignment and compliance to supply management processes
Sourcing Management - Utilize/drive sourcing management as a structured process including obtaining sponsorship and creating/leading cross-functional teams. Upon receiving approval for sourcing strategies, oversee/execute sourcing levers (including but not limited to RFx, negotiations, contracting activities) to ensure appropriate sourcing rigor. Compliance to Peer Review, category strategy development, Supplier Performance Management process, and other supply management processes is key.
Strategy Development/Implementation - Create breakthrough strategies which deliver quick wins and generate legitimate business value. Drive innovation.
Change Management - Adopt high quality change practices with customers and stakeholders, helps building and implementing a sustainable structure to support Merck assets management.
Continuous Improvement - Ensure that every supplier relationship is established with intent of future continuous improvement, and to lead and manage the measurement and review process to ensure delivery of expectations.
Diversity - Actively support diversity, both within Merck as well as expanding relationships and spend with Diverse Suppliers.
Business Requirements/Cost Management Focus - Must have insight and understanding of business requirements on a 1/3/5 year horizon, and partners with business partners & stakeholders to drive cost reductions. Implement SRM with the key suppliers in this category to foster innovation, manage supplier performance, establish appropriate governance model, and ensure continuous improvement.
- Bachelors degree required, with preference in engineering, finance, manufacturing, and science.
- A minimum of seven years of procurement leadership and business management experience and
- Professional experience in complex matrix organizations, preferably in animal health / biopharmaceutical manufacturing environment.
- MBA or relevant advanced degree
- Animal Health/Pharmaceutical/Biotech industry experience
- Technical – Broad base of procurement category knowledge, including Capital Procurement, and experience within manufacturing environment
- Ability to operate autonomously. Resilience and flexibility to succeed in a demanding and challenging project environment, including the ability to manage conflicting priorities.
- Significant global / international business experience
- Fluency in multiple language
Your role at Merck is integral to helping the world meet new breakthroughs that affect generations to come, and we’re counting on your skills and inventiveness to help make meaningful contributions to global medical advancement. At Merck, we’re inventing for life.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
HJ122017, HJ032018, LHH
Job: Services Procurement
Employee Status: Regular
Travel: Yes, 25 % of the Time
Number of Openings:
Shift (if applicable):
Company Trade Name: Merck