Associate Director, GCBI Payer CoE
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. The difference between potential and achievement lies in the spark that fuels innovation and inventiveness; this is the space where Merck has codified its legacy for over a century. Merck’s success is backed by ethical integrity, forward momentum, and an inspiring mission to achieve new milestones in global healthcare.
Merck’s Global Human Health (GHH) Division abides by a “patient first, profits later” ideology. Results-driven and ambitious, this team of individuals represents a functional balance between meeting company objectives and the needs of people around the world. The organization is comprised of sales and marketing professionals who are passionate about their role in bringing Merck's prescription medicines, vaccines, and other medical products to our customers worldwide.
The GCBI Market Research Payer CoE is responsible for leading strategic market research in support of global access, pricing and reimbursement across the Merck Portfolio. The position works closely with the Team Leader in establishing Best Practices for global access, pricing and reimbursement and disseminates learnings throughout the organization. The position requires strategic alignment with the multiple stakeholders including franchise market researchers, commercial, global market access & pricing teams. The position requires a strong understanding of primary market research, syndicated reports and secondary analytics. The appropriate individual will have significant experience in synthesizing and applying research insights to influence marketing strategy and identify opportunities. The position requires an individual with strong leadership skills, an ability to work independently and deal well with ambiguity, and a strong desire for keeping abreast of the dynamic regulatory environments that impact pharmaceutical access globally. A strong understanding of the US Managed Markets and/ or IDS customers is required.
Primary Activities - Primary activities include, but are not limited to:
- A strong understanding of franchise products, marketing strategies, and market access & reimbursement needs to help develop market research and strategies required to optimize global market access.
- Manages all aspects of primary market research including leadership in framing critical business questions.
- Identify critical business issues and opportunities for product access. Provide recommendations on marketing strategies and tactics based on research insights and data analysis, and provide critical and actionable insights around product reimbursement and coverage.
- Provides rationale for methodologies/ research approach to multiple stakeholders, drafts Requests for Proposals, and articulates the hypotheses to be tested.
- Considers alternative ways of meeting an information need, recommends appropriate sources to address business requests and considers new techniques.
- Implements research studies/ analytics & monitors budget; briefs agencies to deliver what is required – understands vendor capabilities, quality requirements, and recommends innovative options.
- Leads implementation of all administrative aspects of research studies.
- Responsible for the synthesis of information from secondary research, including the analysis and dissemination of syndicated research. Responsible for understanding the various syndicated and secondary data and performing analytics to inform payer strategies and tactics.
- Understands a compelling vision for Customer Initiatives and translates the vision into strategies and priorities.
- Proactive collaboration with cross-functional business partners to enhance business results by providing recommendations on product access and pricing decisions based on research insights and data analysis.
- Strong communication and leadership skills required to share and leverage market access insights
- Works directly with research agencies to ensure effective presentations and other material; reviews analysis of research data, converts it into a presentation; verifies research data accuracy
- Manages without authority and demonstrates appropriate situational leadership skills.
- Manages competing priorities & demands from within the business
Education Minimum Requirement:
- BA/BS degree required MBA highly desirable.
Required Experience and Skills:
- 5 years' Pharmaceutical market research experience.
- A total of 8 years' of relevant experience in related functions (including sales, marketing, marketing/sales support, and managed markets) and a good working knowledge of the pharmaceutical business will be considered in lieu of specific market research experience.
- Strong Knowledge of the payer access environment required (US and / or Globally)
- An in-depth knowledge of marketing principles (Merck Marketing), the US healthcare environment, and/or global pharmaceutical markets is required
Preferred Experience and Skills:
- Strong Knowledge of the payer access environment strongly preferred (US and / or Globally)
- Experience in working within the access and/or pricing capacity is desirable
- Experience and or knowledge of our hospital specialty portfolio is desirable
- Well-developed analytical skills, strong problem-solving, and demonstrated ability to think strategically and objectively
- Can apply market research methods and models, is knowledgeable with a variety of techniques
- Orientation toward collaboration/ team work, ability to lead teams in execution of market research, interest in ongoing learning
- Must demonstrate the appropriate degree of performance in all Leadership Standards (particular emphasis on Focus on Customers, Make Rapid/Disciplined Decisions, act with courage & candor, drive results, foster collaboration)
- Ability and comfort in leading in a complex and ambiguous environment of a global matrix organization
- Ability to work independently, communicate effectively and a strong desire to lead change in terms of developing best practices
Your role at Merck is integral to helping the world meet new breakthroughs that affect generations to come, and we’re counting on your skills and inventiveness to help make meaningful contributions to global medical advancement. At Merck, we’re inventing for life.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
Job: Market Research & Analytics
Employee Status: Regular
Travel: Yes, 15 % of the Time
Number of Openings:
Shift (if applicable):
Company Trade Name: Merck