Manager, Engineering, Maintenance & Utilities
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. The difference between potential and achievement lies in the spark that fuels innovation and inventiveness; this is the space where Merck has codified its 125-year legacy. Merck’s success is backed by ethical integrity, forward momentum, and an inspiring mission to achieve new milestones in global healthcare.
Merck Manufacturing Division, MMD, is a team of dedicated, energetic individuals who are committed to being the most trusted supplier of pharmaceuticals and health products worldwide. Our facilities, along with our external contractors, suppliers, and partners, comprise an interdependent global manufacturing network that’s committed to delivering a compliant, reliable supply to customers and patients on time, every time, across the globe.
The Manager, Engineering is responsible for the maintenance and repair of the laboratory, production, and utility equipment in the assigned building(s) within the jurisdiction of the Engineering, Maintenance & Utilities (EM&U) organization. The Manager, Engineering is responsible for management of the skilled craft mechanics in the associated maintenance shop.
Primary duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following;
- Actively ensures safe work practices by self and direct reports. Responsible for safety compliance of self and direct reports. Models safety mindset for all employees. Owns and participates in event reporting and investigation process.
- In managing direct reports and as an individual contributor, ensures and is responsible for quality and environmental compliance in assigned area. Owns and participates in event reporting and investigation process.
- Collaborates with area engineers and building representatives to deliver a high degree of customer service.
- Assists in the maintenance scheduling process of assigned building(s) and is primarily responsible for the execution of the work.
- Provides day-to-day maintenance support, both scheduled and unscheduled or emergency, for assigned area.
- Manages work order backlog in Computerized Maintenance Management Systems (CMMS). Actively drives toward compliance goals.
- Holds direct reports accountable for their work performance and training compliance in a cGMP environment.
- Manages direct reports’ attendance, absenteeism, and vacation time.
- Participates in internal or external facility audits and inspections.
- Proactively participates in equipment and process reliability initiatives.
- Able to perform routine problem solving and troubleshooting.
- Gains or utilizes working knowledge of HVAC systems, operation, and maintenance.
- Gains or utilizes working knowledge of purified water systems generation, operation, and maintenance.
- Gains or utilizes working knowledge of refrigeration systems, operation, and maintenance.
- Gains or utilizes working knowledge waste treatment systems, operation, and maintenance.
- With the EM&U team, plans workload execution, labor, and parts to ensure successful building shutdown and startup.
- Utilizes Lean Manufacturing and Six Sigma principals to solve problems, eliminate waste, and effectively organize maintenance work.
- High School Diploma/GED or higher
- Minimum 7 years of experience in a maintenance or equipment support role, OR, an Associates Degree or higher in a Science, Engineering, or related field with minimum 5 years of engineering/maintenance experience
- Minimum of 3 years' supervisory/people management experience
- Experience in equipment management, troubleshooting and/or maintenance
- Ability to work flexible hours to accommodate special projects, shutdown and/or maintenance activities
- Working knowledge of cGMPs and of regulatory requirements as they apply to the vaccine/pharmaceutical industry
- Strong communication (written/verbal), and multi-tasking abilities
- Experience in prioritizing conflicting responsibilities in a manufacturing environment
- Plant maintenance, instrumentation, project engineering and/or operations experience
- Experience interfacing with Computerized Maintenance Management Systems (CMMS)
Your role at Merck is integral to helping the world meet new breakthroughs that affect generations to come, and we’re counting on your skills and inventiveness to help make meaningful contributions to global medical advancement. At Merck, we’re inventing for life.
If you need an accommodation for the application process please email us at email@example.com.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:EEOC Poster EEOC GINA Supplement
Employee Status: Regular
Number of Openings:
Shift (if applicable):
Company Trade Name: Merck