Vaccines Regional Medical Director (West)
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. The difference between potential and achievement lies in the spark that fuels innovation and inventiveness; this is the space where Merck has codified its legacy for over a century. Merck’s success is backed by ethical integrity, forward momentum, and an inspiring mission to achieve new milestones in global healthcare.
Merck’s Global Human Health (GHH) Division abides by a “patient first, profits later” ideology. Results-driven and ambitious, this team of individuals represents a functional balance between meeting company objectives and the needs of people around the world. The organization is comprised of sales and marketing professionals who are passionate about their role in bringing Merck's prescription medicines, vaccines, and other medical products to our customers worldwide.
This position will be based in California; consideration will be given for candidates living in Colorado.
With guidance from Global Health & Medical Affairs & MV US Commercial Leadership, and in coordination with the Vaccine Brand Leaders and US Market Leaders, the US Regional Medical Director (RMD) will be directly responsible for accomplishing the following:
- Establish relationships with key healthcare institutions, healthcare professionals (HCPs) and appropriate healthcare business professionals (HBP’s) across segments (Integrated Delivery Systems, Pharmacy, Public Sector, Payer,
- Employer, and academic medical centers, etc) to provide knowledge & expertise in disease, vaccines, and vaccination processes to ensure that Merck is viewed as demonstrating value and better health outcomes to healthcare professionals and their patients across the lifespan (childhood, adolescent and adult).
- Serving as a knowledgeable resource related to the evolving population health trends, Triple Aim goals, health economics, and the principles of Quality Improvement and Implementation Science.
- Provides HCPs and HBPs accurate information about Merck products and clinical science in a balanced and credible manner consistent with the brand strategy, regulatory environment and Merck’s ethical standards.
- Communicate about disease burden, vaccine effectiveness, population health, quality improvement and implementation science in a way that's meaningful and relevant to each individual customer and customize discussions and client interactions based on understanding of customer's needs
- Seeks ways to collaborate with HCPs, HBPs and healthcare organizations to improve patient outcomes, vaccination delivery processes and to establish vaccination as a prevention strategy.
- Operate principally within a specific geographic focus within the United States (e.g., Central, Midwest).
- Reports activities in compliant database consistent with policy
- Serves as a vaccine, disease, population health, Quality Improvement expert for the internal organization and collaborator with field personnel to support commercial initiatives and improved population health goals
- Provides Merck internal teams with customer and system insights to assist in informing Merck Vaccines strategies on critical issues and facilitate the development of customer-focused tools and communications to support improved vaccination coverage.
Primary activities include, but are not limited to the following:
- Maintains expertise in basic and clinical science of vaccines and the diseases they prevent, vaccination process, vaccine health economics, population health trends, Triple Aim goals, the principles of Quality Improvement and Implementation
- Science and the business environment of medicine, through study of current literature, conferences, guidelines, and interactions with Merck and external scientific resources.
- Actively participates in professional society meetings and continuing education (CE) to remain current and to identify areas of new and emerging science of importance to Merck.
- Develops and maintains relationships with leading healthcare institutions, professional organizations, providers, healthcare business professionals and clinical leaders, to provide clinical and scientific knowledge & expertise to key decision makers in managed-care organizations, integrated health systems, medical groups, pharmacies and public sector healthcare delivery institutions and agencies.
- Serves as a medical and scientific resource to Account Executives, Directors of Commercial Operations, and their teams.
- Meets with key providers to provide strategic and compliant disease, product and health information (across Merck and competitive portfolio) in addition to population health, triple aim and implementation science principles.
- Establishes long-term peer relationships with key health care professionals, healthcare business professionals, professional organizations, and institutions to ensure that Merck provides credible and accurate scientific, product, and implementation information and is a trusted partner in improving patient care.
- Delivers approved relevant updates and educational programs to clinicians on areas of emerging science, clinical protocols, therapeutic and prophylactic options, population health management and behavioral or other sciences related to implementation.
- Acts as a resource to healthcare business professionals in the employer and payer environment to assist them in addressing business and patient needs.
- Acts as resource for Quality Improvement/Implementation to assist customers improve performance measures and patient outcomes.
- Responds to unsolicited requests for product or scientific information by utilizing appropriate resources within the company, including professional information requests (PIRs) and/or by initiating contact with Merck HQ .
- Actively engages customer team to enhance understanding of customer needs, develop customer plans for target customers/accounts and establish relationships with key influencers within customer/payer accounts.
- Works as part of Merck customer-facing team(s) to deliver customer solutions.
- Shares accountability for the delivery of an agreed-upon customer experience: Recognition of Merck as a trusted resource to deliver value (as defined by the customer).
- Works with internal stakeholders to refine and execute RMD Team objectives.
- Provides customer team with assessment of customer's needs and clinical challenges including emerging science and treatment protocols.
- Understands the programs and services available in the library of Merck resources and how they may address customer needs.
- Maximizes the opportunity for customer interaction with Merck resources (including the appropriate members of customer team)
- Advises customer team on current medical and clinical information including customers' perspective.
- Actively coordinates with peers within Merck to share approved best practices.
- Effects of decisions are long lasting and heavily influence the future course of the organization. Errors in judgment or failure to achieve results would result in the expenditure of large amounts of company resources.
- Work is performed independently and with limited direction.
- Advanced healthcare/science doctoral degree (e.g., MD, PharmD, PhD)
- Minimum 4 years clinical experience in the United States
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Proven leadership skills
- Breadth of knowledge in clinical medicine and public health
- Ability to interpret complex technical data to match communication needs of recipients
- Understanding of the evolving healthcare market and managed-care/payer environment
- Understanding of quality management and performance improvement in clinical medicine
- Strong knowledge and understanding of legal and regulatory environment and Merck’s policies
- Experience in a medical business-related role (e.g., pharmaceuticals, managed care, practice management, clinical
- research, consulting, diagnostics and devices)
- Clinical, research, or public-health experience with vaccines
- Population Health Management, Health Economic, Quality Improvement experience
- Experience in a scientific, medical or teaching institution.
Your role at Merck is integral to helping the world meet new breakthroughs that affect generations to come, and we’re counting on your skills and inventiveness to help make meaningful contributions to global medical advancement. At Merck, we’re inventing for life.
If you need an accommodation for the application process please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
Job: Medical Affairs (M.D.) - Field Based
Employee Status: Regular
Travel: Yes, 50 % of the Time
Number of Openings:
Shift (if applicable):
Company Trade Name: Merck