Project Director/Master Planning
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. The difference between potential and achievement lies in the spark that fuels innovation and inventiveness; this is the space where Merck has codified its legacy for over a century. Merck’s success is backed by ethical integrity, forward momentum, and an inspiring mission to achieve new milestones in global healthcare.
The Project Director position will be responsible for the leadership and management of an extensive portfolio of Master Planning initiatives (laboratory, infrastructure, and site projects). There are currently a number of significant strategic facilities initiatives for Merck’s South Eastern Pennsylvania Global Facilities Management Organization which are required to support Merck’s existing and new product portfolio. The projects will include new and renovated lab facilities, removal of older outdated facilities, closure of outdated utilities operations, and assessing and recommending the siting of new facilities.
The position is a highly collaborative and leveraged role, requiring the candidate to work and influence other Merck and supplier organizations. The position requires technical/lab science knowledge with a strong emphasis on biologics/vaccine development. The incumbent will work closely with the scientific organizations in developing new plans and strategies along with managing the capital funding/execution of new and renovated lab facilities. Additional background requirements include a strong project management, startup and commissioning, and utilities/plant engineering knowledge. The Project Director will be required to understand the interaction between central utilities systems and the supported lab and pilot plant facilities.
The position can supervise one or two project engineers. The capital and expense portfolio will be in excess of $250MM.
- Contributes to GWES Regional and Site Master Plan development and implementation.
- Champions a portfolio of projects aligned to enable the PA Facility Management Operations to support the long range Research and Manufacturing strategies.
- Complies with applicable environmental regulations and requirements as outlined in departmental Environmental Requirements Manuals (ERM’s) ensuring that appropriate procedures, training, and controls are in place.
- Supports business needs related to areas of responsibility, including profit planning, master planning capital planning/justification, project development/implementation, cost benefit analysis, utility and service contract negotiation/administration, supply and demand side utility/energy modeling, energy/water conservation, customer, service, etc.
- Manages personnel effectively promoting, challenging and guiding their development to the fullest.
- Evaluates organization needs and makes recommendations accordingly, including increases, promotions, transfers, and other actions based on an objective analysis of performances.
- Encourages creative thinking in current and future planning with emphasis on employee participation, teamwork, and development.
- Develops, recommends objectives, measurements, and standards of performance.
- Maintains an awareness of new technology, market and industry trends, and continually seeks application potential for both new installations and existing system upgrades.
- Strives to provide state-of-the-art facilities and services that are safe, compliant, reliable, efficient, and economical. Ensures that the focus of the group is on continuous improvement.
- Develops and encourages an effective working relationship within GWES, with Research and Manufacturing customers/clients, support areas, and outside firms/agencies.
- Bachelor Degree in Engineering, Maritime, or other technical field such as Business Administration, Science, or equivalent experience.
- MBA Preferred.
- A minimum of ten (10) years of technical management experience related to laboratory management, engineering, and/or project management.
- Excellent communication, leadership, teamwork, and customer service skills.
- Documented experience as a strong performer in current and past positions.
- Ability to handle and prioritize a large number of simultaneous assignments and quickly adapt to changes in business priorities.
- Ability to quickly address issues and develop solutions to minimize compliance risk and improve utility reliability.
- Ability to think both critically, as well as communicate effectively.
- Technical problem-solving abilities.
- Working knowledge of OSHA standards.
- Completion of OSHA 30-hour.
- A minimum of one (1) or more year of experience with one or more pharmaceutical plant utility systems.
- Lean, Six-Sigma Yellow Belt certification or equal experience in application.
- Knowledge and experience in project and facilities management.
- Experience using MS Excel.
Your role at Merck is integral to helping the world meet new breakthroughs that affect generations to come, and we’re counting on your skills and inventiveness to help make meaningful contributions to global medical advancement. At Merck, we’re inventing for life.
If you need an accommodation for the application process please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
Employee Status: Regular
Travel: Yes, 5 % of the Time
Number of Openings:
Shift (if applicable):
Company Trade Name: Merck