Senior Scientist - Vaccine Process Development Job
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. The difference between potential and achievement lies in the spark that fuels innovation and inventiveness; this is the space where Merck has codified its legacy for over a century. Merck’s success is backed by ethical integrity, forward momentum, and an inspiring mission to achieve new milestones in global healthcare.
Merck is on a quest for cures and is committed to being the world’s premier, most research-intensive biopharmaceutical company. Today, we’re doubling down on this goal. Merck Research Laboratories is a true scientific research facility of tomorrow, and will take Merck’s leading discovery capabilities and world-class small molecule and biologics R&D expertise to create breakthrough science that radically changes the way we approach serious diseases.
Applicants are sought for Vaccine Process Development group in Vaccine Bioprocess Research and Development of Merck Research Labs. The VPD group develops processes consisting of multiple unit operations for the production of vaccine candidates. Processes are initially developed in the laboratory and are then scaled up to pilot and full-manufacturing scales. Significant amount of laboratory work are conducted to understand how processing variables impact product quality attributes at each step of the process at all operating scales. Candidate will serve as an individual scientific contributor responsible for designing and executing experiments and analyzing results from studies. Candidate will also be involved in technology transfers to pilot and manufacturing groups.
The successful candidate will have a background in biological science or bio/chemical engineering and strong expertise in hands-on, laboratory work. Experience in protein and polysaccharide purification using techniques, such as ultrafiltration, chromatography, dead-end filtration and centrifugation, is required. Experience in bioconjugation and analytical methods, such as HPLC, will be considered as a strong positive factor. To support technology transfers, experience in cGMP practices is also desired. The candidate should be self-motivated, independent, well-organized, have strong problem-solving skills, and be able to think strategically.
The candidate must be able to work well with others. The individual will be expected to demonstrate the ability to communicate results of his/her work in both verbal and written formats. In addition to the core responsibilities outlined above, the candidate will be expected to keep careful notes, comply with all required training, and maintain a focused attention on laboratory safety.
- BS degree in Chemical Engineering or Biological Sciences with a minimum of 7 years of relevant experience OR MS degree in Chemical Engineering or Biological Science with a minimum of 4 years of relevant experience OR PhD in Chemical Engineering or Biological Sciences with technical background in downstream (purification) process development of biological molecule.
- Experience in preparative purification of proteins, viruses, VLPs, and/or other biological molecules. Strong laboratory skill set, with experience designing and executing experiments independently in a manner that meets quality and time line expectations.
- Advanced proficiency in chromatography, membrane filtration operations, and common biochemical analytical techniques.
- Ability to understand and execute experiments independently in fulfillment of assigned program objectives in a manner that meets quality and time line expectations
- Well-developed organizational, record-keeping, and problem solving skills
- Ability to work independently and/or in a team environment and is results oriented
- Downstream process development experience for vaccine candidates and/or therapeutic proteins, including experience in process operations scale-up.
- Experience in the purification of live viruses and familiarity with established safety practices for working with such organisms including hands-on experience with Biosafety Level 2 operations
- Experience in programming (e.g. Visual Basic, CC+, MatLab) and statistical/visualization software.
- Communication of scientific information through oral presentations and written documents.
- Conflict management and negotiation skills
- Extensive experience with GxP principles and regulations.
Your role at Merck is integral to helping the world meet new breakthroughs that affect generations to come, and we’re counting on your skills and inventiveness to help make meaningful contributions to global medical advancement. At Merck, we’re inventing for life.
If you need an accommodation for the application process please email us at email@example.com.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman";mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;
Job: Bio Process-Purif/Recovery
Employee Status: Regular
Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time
Number of Openings:
Shift (if applicable):
Company Trade Name: Merck