Senior Specialist, Strategic Planning (MBA) Job
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. The difference between potential and achievement lies in the spark that fuels innovation and inventiveness; this is the space where Merck has codified its legacy for over a century. Merck’s success is backed by ethical integrity, forward momentum, and an inspiring mission to achieve new milestones in global healthcare.
Merck’s Global Human Health (GHH) Division abides by a “patient first, profits later” ideology. Results-driven and ambitious, this team of individuals represents a functional balance between meeting company objectives and the needs of people around the world. The organization is comprised of sales and marketing professionals who are passionate about their role in bringing Merck's prescription medicines, vaccines, and other medical products to our customers worldwide.
The Vaccines organization serves markets around the world. In doing so, our team works with the Merck Research (MRL) and Merck Manufacturing (MMD) divisions to frame strategic choices, and deliver projects which will grow the business in a profitable manner, while gaining experience with internal partners/stakeholders within Merck, as well as external customers. The role spans two broad areas; strategy development and strategy delivers/realization, and will create objective, fact-based understanding of Vaccine performance, external trends, and competitive position. Insights will be developed through understanding of strategy methodology, and by use of different databases utilized to build fact-based projects. This role is an individual contributor reporting to the Executive Director, Global Vaccines Strategy.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
- Support provided to Merck Vaccines Integrated Leadership Team (MVILT) in the creation of a long term, global, cross-divisional strategy for Merck Vaccines.
- Ensure alignment between Vaccines commercial strategy and key market-based strategy functions, as well as GHH, MRL and MMD to ensure project priorities, and drive delivery of long term strategic projects.
- Collaborate across teams/key stakeholders (Global Competitive Intelligence, Business Development, Corporate Strategy, etc.) developing network of subject matter experts and data sources to contribute to projects/analyses in support of driving operating income growth for Merck Vaccines, address key strategy issues, evaluate strategic choices, develop recommendations, and increase rigor of decision making.
- Network with external individuals to further understand the emerging trends in the industry, as well as best practices.
- Production of executive level presentations and/or reporting of strategy recommendations to appropriate senior management, aimed at tracking our profitable access goals.
- Perform systematic and comprehensive external scans of global healthcare industry, including competition, customers and industry trends, and translate trends into strategic choices.
- Build/grow commercial and strategic analytics in a way targeted to improve strategic alignment, growth and efficiency.
- Long-term strategic decisions made in a careful way leveraging datasets and analyses that support dispassionate choices and accurate risk/opportunity assessments.
- Ability to distill/translate complex information into understandable and actionable ideas.
- Utilize different databases to build fact-based projects.
- Support identification and evaluation of “whitespace” opportunities. Where appropriate, engage division leaders and subject matter experts in developing those plans.
- Demonstrate ability to seamlessly work with data to identify alternative approaches, weigh trade-offs, and build logical/persuasive arguments for recommended strategies.
- Create new, and modify existing tools, to address project needs.
- Promote teamwork and open discussion of issues.
- Ensure all communication is presented according to Policy, with the review and approval of our Compliance and Legal partners.
This position also includes acceptance to the Accelerated Development Program which focuses on broadening business acumen through business unit rotations in account management, finance, commercial analytics, contracting and marketing.
- Currently enrolled in a program leading to a Master in Business Administration with a Graduate date of June 2018
- A minimum of 1 plus years of professional work/internship experience
Your role at Merck is integral to helping the world meet new breakthroughs that affect generations to come, and we’re counting on your skills and inventiveness to help make meaningful contributions to global medical advancement. At Merck, we’re inventing for life.
If you need an accommodation for the application process please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
Job: Strategic Planning
Employee Status: Regular
Travel: Yes, 20 % of the Time
Number of Openings:
Shift (if applicable):
Company Trade Name: Merck