Senior Scientist Job
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. The difference between potential and achievement lies in the spark that fuels innovation and inventiveness; this is the space where Merck has codified its legacy for over a century. Merck’s success is backed by ethical integrity, forward momentum, and an inspiring mission to achieve new milestones in global healthcare.
Merck is on a quest for cures and is committed to being the world’s premier, most research-intensive biopharmaceutical company. Today, we’re doubling down on this goal. Merck Research Laboratories is a true scientific research facility of tomorrow, and will take Merck’s leading discovery capabilities and world-class small molecule and biologics R&D expertise to create breakthrough science that radically changes the way we approach serious diseases.
We are seeking an experienced and highly motivated scientist with proven track record of analytical and biophysical characterization of diverse biologics molecules: monoclonal antibodies, bi/multi-specific antibodies, Fc-fusion proteins, peptides and antibody-drug conjugates (ADCs). The selected individual will join the Biologics Discovery group in Merck Boston and will primarily be responsible for detailed analytical characterization of early drug candidates using HPLC/UPLC based methods (SEC, IEC, RP, HIC), Mass spectrometry, light scattering methods (DLS, SEC-MALS), thermal stability (DSC) and capillary electrophoresis based methods (cIEF, CE-SDS-PAGE). Significant hands-on experience in high throughput method development and execution is desired to support fast paced matrix organization based discovery programs.
- Advanced degree in Biochemistry, Engineering, Protein chemistry, Life sciences or related discipline with at least 2 years of hands on experience in industry focusing on Biologics.
- Expertise with LC/MS based methods for detailed Biologics characterization including intact mass determination, glyco-analysis, characterization of other PTMs, peptide mapping etc.
- Hands-on experience on bioanalytical characterization of biologics using HPLC/UPLC (Waters, Agilent) based methods for SEC, IEC, HIC and Reverse Phase (RP) Chromatography to test aggregation status, impurity and charge distribution. This includes method development, validation and running routine characterization to support fast paced biologics discovery
- Familiarity with other analytical methods and high throughput system for detailed characterization of large number of biologics molecules in high throughput methods
- Excellent written and oral communication skills including ability to present scientific data in group setting
- Excellent organization to multi-task and manage multiple projects.
- Ability to adapt to rapid changes in projects priorities and meet aggressive timelines
- Committed to working in a collaborative manner across functional areas within matrix organization
- Experience with Lights scattering methods (Wyatts DLS, SEC-MALS)
- Thermal stability determination using DSC, DSF and formulation screen to identify ideal storage buffer condition
- Experience in cIEF, CE-SDS PAGE is a plus
- Antibody conjugation experience using a diverse method
Your role at Merck is integral to helping the world meet new breakthroughs that affect generations to come, and we’re counting on your skills and inventiveness to help make meaningful contributions to global medical advancement. At Merck, we’re inventing for life.
If you need an accommodation for the application process please email us at email@example.com.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
Job: Molecular Discovery - Biologics
Employee Status: Regular
Number of Openings:
Shift (if applicable):
Company Trade Name: Merck