Senior Scientist, Biology, West Point Neuroscience Job
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. The difference between potential and achievement lies in the spark that fuels innovation and inventiveness; this is the space where Merck has codified its legacy for over a century. Merck’s success is backed by ethical integrity, forward momentum, and an inspiring mission to achieve new milestones in global healthcare.
Merck is on a quest for cures and is committed to being the world’s premier, most research-intensive biopharmaceutical company. Today, we’re doubling down on this goal. Merck Research Laboratories is a true scientific research facility of tomorrow, and will take Merck’s leading discovery capabilities and world-class small molecule and biologics R&D expertise to create breakthrough science that radically changes the way we approach serious diseases.
As a Senior Scientist in Merck’s Neuroscience Department you will engage in exciting drug discovery research targeting the treatment of Neurodegenerative diseases. An expert in cellular and molecular biology, you will have the opportunity to work as part of a high profile team applying cutting edge cell biology techniques to identify, validate and progress innovative novel drug targets. You will design, implement and run biochemical and cell based assays to support our drug discovery efforts.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Build novel cellular models utilizing cell lines, primary neuronal cultures as well human iPSC-derived neurons that probe various biochemical and functional endpoints
- Use molecular, genetic, imaging and/or biochemical techniques to investigate relevant disease mechanisms in vitro and in vivo models
- Maintain awareness and implement technology that would enable scientific problem solving and/or improve efficiency
- Analyze, interpret and present data at group and departmental meetings and write internal documents on technical and scientific findings
- BS in Biology or related disciplines (Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, Cell Biology, Pharmacology, etc.) with a minimum of (8) years of relevant experience OR a MS in Biology or related disciplines (Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, Cell Biology, Neuroscience etc.) with a minimum of (5) years of relevant experience
- Deep expertise in a wide range of cell assays including experience with biochemical and functional endpoints
- Hands on experience with mammalian cell culture
- Proven track record in the use of wide range of detection methods (e.g. spectrophotometric, radiometric, colorimetric, fluorescence, etc.) to support functional assays and immunohistochemistry
- Highly skilled in general biochemistry and molecular biology techniques including expression in mammalian systems, real-time PCR, ELISA, western blotting
- Ability to conduct tissue processing and analysis from in vivo studies
- Good track record in the successful development and implementation of biochemical and cellular assays to support drug discovery projects
- Possess good communication skills and interpersonal skills
- Experience in primary cell and iPSC cell culture
- Insights into experimental biology and validation experiments with disease relevant in vitro and in vivo model systems
- Broad industrial drug discovery experience
- Scientific knowledge in neurodegenerative diseases including Alzheimer's disease
Your role at Merck is integral to helping the world meet new breakthroughs that affect generations to come, and we’re counting on your skills and inventiveness to help make meaningful contributions to global medical advancement. At Merck, we’re inventing for life.
If you need an accommodation for the application process please email us at email@example.com.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
Job: Molecular Discovery - DPS
Employee Status: Regular
Number of Openings:
Shift (if applicable):
Company Trade Name: Merck