Associate Director, Regulatory Affairs Job
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. The difference between potential and achievement lies in the spark that fuels innovation and inventiveness; this is the space where Merck has codified its legacy for over a century. Merck’s success is backed by ethical integrity, forward momentum, and an inspiring mission to achieve new milestones in global healthcare.
Merck is on a quest for cures and is committed to being the world’s premier, most research-intensive biopharmaceutical company. Today, we’re doubling down on this goal. Merck Research Laboratories is a true scientific research facility of tomorrow, and will take Merck’s leading discovery capabilities and world-class small molecule and biologics R&D expertise to create breakthrough science that radically changes the way we approach serious diseases.
The Regulatory Affairs Headquarters R4, Associate Principal Scientist supports products in the vaccine and infectious disease (VID) therapeutic area as part of a regulatory team. He/She will have excellent communication and collaboration skills and will work closely with a global liaison(s) to help develop and implement a global strategy for registration and/or maintenance of VID products. Responsibilities may encompass all aspects of planning and implementation of a global regulatory strategy and regulatory submissions including assisting in preparing submissions, protocol review, and conducting research on regulatory guidances or competitive intelligence. The Associate Principal Scientist will report to a Global Regulatory Liaison (Director or Executive Director) and will work with one or more Regulatory Liaison Directors in the VID therapeutic area).
The individual will have responsibility for driving results for his/her assigned projects through application of regulatory science and strong communication and analytical skills.
Specific responsibilities (with coaching and managerial oversight) include but are not limited to:
- Assisting in Regulatory Agency communications and submissions, including but not limited to: marketing applications, INDs, pediatric plans and annual or other periodic reports. The individual may also assist or take the lead in tracking, authoring, shepherding and/or review of responses to Agency requests
- Implementing strategy to develop Agency background packages and documents associated with Regulatory submissions for marketing applications
- Communicating with Agencies and attending Agency meetings as needed to assist the global liaison
- Participating as an active member on the global regulatory team. He/She will attend cross-functional meetings as required, in collaboration with, and to assist the global liaison
- Conducting research and review of guidelines, regulatory precedence and competitive intelligence to facilitate development of regulatory strategy. Assist the global liaison in authoring of regulatory strategy documents
- Collaborating and communicating regulatory strategy as needed to colleagues in Regulatory Operations, Clinical Safety, Labeling, Regulatory CMC) as well as other functional areas (e.g. clinical research, safety assessment)
- Support maintenance (e.g., quality compliance and life cycle management) of VID programs
- Support of Global liaison in label development
- Assisting with process improvement initiatives
- Performing regulatory administrative activities as needed
- Bachelor’s degree, with at least 6 years of relevant experience in the pharmaceutical industry
- Master’s degree with at least 3 years of relevant experience in pharmaceutical industry
- Medical Doctor or PhD - OR - other related doctoral degree in biological science, chemistry or related discipline
- Excellent communication skills (both oral and written)
- Good organizational skills with a proven ability to simultaneously balance diverse activities for multiple projects
- Flexibility required
- Strong scientific and analytical skills with attention to detail
- Prior regulatory experience interacting with a major regulatory agency is highly preferred Experience in drug development, particularly anti-infectives and/or vaccine products is highly preferred
Your role at Merck is integral to helping the world meet new breakthroughs that affect generations to come, and we’re counting on your skills and inventiveness to help make meaningful contributions to global medical advancement. At Merck, we’re inventing for life.
If you need an accommodation for the application process please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
Job: Regulatory Affairs Liaison
Employee Status: Regular
Travel: Yes, 5 % of the Time
Number of Openings:
Shift (if applicable):
Company Trade Name: Merck