Senior Mechanic - Second Shift
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. The difference between potential and achievement lies in the spark that fuels innovation and inventiveness; this is the space where Merck has codified its legacy for over a century. Merck’s success is backed by ethical integrity, forward momentum, and an inspiring mission to achieve new milestones in global healthcare.
Merck Manufacturing Division, MMD, is a team of dedicated, energetic individuals who are committed to being the most trusted supplier of pharmaceuticals and health products worldwide. Our facilities, along with our external contractors, suppliers, and partners, comprise an interdependent global manufacturing network that’s committed to delivering a compliant, reliable supply to customers and patients on time, every time, across the globe.
The Senior Mechanic position is available at the Merck Animal Health facility in De Soto, Kansas, located near Kansas City metropolitan area. The DeSoto facility is expanding operations to manufacturing vaccines and biologics for large and companion animals. Leveraging an experienced and innovative team environment, the key technologies at the site are biologics production using fermentation and cell culture platforms, filling and packaging.
2nd Shift Senior Mechanic - current opening (1:30 P.M. – 10:00 P.M.)
Under the direction of Maintenance Manager, the Senior Mechanic sets up, adjusts, repairs, and maintains bio-tech processing and utility support equipment. Carries out industrial maintenance functions in accordance with current Good Manufacturing Practices and prepares technical documentation. Participates in the establishment and improvement of new and existing process equipment. Primary focus will involve maintaining process equipment by developing/performing PM's, documenting work using a computerized maintenance management system (CMMS - SAP) and other duties as requested by the Maintenance Manager.
Position also requires a rotating night/weekend on-call emergency coverage rotation required 1 week approximately every 2 months where technician is responsible to respond to equipment operation alarms during unmanned hours.
- Utility Equipment: steam boilers, chillers, air handlers, air compressors, DI water, ect.
- Process Equipment: fermenters, process tanks, centrifuges, autoclaves, CIP systems, microfluidizers, ect.
- Packaging Equipment: injection filler, unscramble, capper, labeler, tray packer, ect.
- Machine shop equipment: drill press, grinder, gas and electric welder, power cutting tools, ect.
- High School Diploma or GED and Five (5) years of industrial maintenance experience or two (2) year technical degree with three (3) years of maintenance experience or equivalent.
- A primary knowledge in the industrial maintenance environment is required.
- Mechanical and electrical trouble shooting skills are essential and must possess these skills to be effective in this area without further skills training.
- Must be able to read electrical prints and P&ID control loops.
- Must be able to demonstrate ability to maintain a strong safety culture within daily activities.
- Maintenance experience within the Pharmaceutical or Biopharmaceutical industry.
- Experience working with SAP and Microsoft Office Suite including Word, Excel, Outlook.
- Experience with Building Management Software (preferably Siemens Insight).
Your role at Merck is integral to helping the world meet new breakthroughs that affect generations to come, and we’re counting on your skills and inventiveness to help make meaningful contributions to global medical advancement. At Merck, we’re inventing for life.
If you need an accommodation for the application process please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
Job: Production / Maintenance
Employee Status: Regular
Travel: Yes, 5 % of the Time
Number of Openings:
Shift (if applicable):
Company Trade Name: Merck