Knowledge Management Scientific Data Steward
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. The difference between potential and achievement lies in the spark that fuels innovation and inventiveness; this is the space where Merck has codified its legacy for over a century. Merck’s success is backed by ethical integrity, forward momentum, and an inspiring mission to achieve new milestones in global healthcare.
Merck’s Information Technology organization partners with colleagues across the business to help serve our patients and customers around the world. Ours is a high energy team of dynamic, innovative individuals dedicated to advancing Merck’s contribution to global medical innovation by leveraging information and technology to efficiently advance the business by driving revenue and productivity.
How will you invent the future?
As a Data steward at Merck’s Austin IT HUB, you will be part of inventing tomorrow. Our Innovative centers are where great people come together and deliver solutions that save and improve lives.
We are seeking motivated talent interested in solving problems to improve tomorrow.
- Under the direction of a Senior Data Steward, be a key team member in designing, implementing, maintaining, and advancing scientific information stewardship services in order to enable data accessibility, data analysis, and data integration activities across the drug discovery and development pipeline.
- Provide domain expertise and day-to-day operations for key information assets critical to the integration and use of scientific data for analytics and processes across pharmaceutical research and development. The information assets include vocabularies, thesauri, taxonomies and ontologies for key scientific information domains such as drugs, pharmaceutical targets, organisms, biological phenotypes, pharmacological assays, cell lines, etc. Investigate content via database and internet searching and steward internal data assets.
- Implement and follow processes and metrics to analyze, monitor and improve scientific reference data and vocabulary quality.
- Participate in the creation and maintenance of content documentation, operating procedures and training materials to enable adherence to relevant policies.
- Develop and/or perform User Acceptance Testing for content changes in information management systems.
- Identify trends, gaps, and opportunities to codify rules and correct, transform, and align data to existing ontologies and vocabularies.
- Pharmaceutical business as it relates to drug discovery and development.
- Key data collected and used across product development processes
- Information system and data integration
- Knowledge Management of Master and reference data management
- M.S./PhD in a relevant life science or physical science such as chemistry (preferred), biology, pharmacology, epidemiology, genetics, or medicine or a B.S in a relevant life/physical science with a second degree in Library Science or Information Science or a related discipline.
- Relevant information management work experience.
- Independent problem solver, detail-oriented and self-motivated.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Good customer service skills (handling requests for information in a timely and professional manner).
- Ability to work effectively in a matrix environment.
- Team player yet able to work independently with minimal direction.
- Computer experience including database searching, web searching and experience with Microsoft products (WORD, EXCEL, email).
- Experience with terminology or reference/master data standards (U.S. and/or international), and/or experience with pharmaceutical and/or biomedical data.
- Broad understanding of drug discovery, drug development and research processes, clinical data coding and experience working within a regulated environment.
- Experience in master data management and related systems, data standards and business rules, provenance and stewardship.
- Familiarity with vocabularies or ontologies and data standards relevant to the biomedical industry (e.g. GO, MedDRA, CDISC, MESH, UMLS, HL7, WHO-Drug and ATC classes, IDMP).
- Experience and/or ability to learn to automate the manipulation of content through the use of scripting languages or automation tools.
Your role at Merck is integral to helping the world meet new breakthroughs that affect generations to come, and we’re counting on your skills and inventiveness to help make meaningful contributions to global medical advancement. At Merck, we’re inventing for life.
If you need an accommodation for the application process please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
Austin IT Hub, LHH, LHH022018
Job: Engineering, Development & Integration
Employee Status: Regular
Travel: Yes, 5 % of the Time
Number of Openings:
Shift (if applicable):
Company Trade Name: Merck