Associate Director, Global Engineering Services Job
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. The difference between potential and achievement lies in the spark that fuels innovation and inventiveness; this is the space where Merck has codified its legacy for over a century. Merck’s success is backed by ethical integrity, forward momentum, and an inspiring mission to achieve new milestones in global healthcare.
Merck Manufacturing Division, MMD, is a team of dedicated, energetic individuals who are committed to being the most trusted supplier of pharmaceuticals and health products worldwide. Our facilities, along with our external contractors, suppliers, and partners, comprise an interdependent global manufacturing network that’s committed to delivering a compliant, reliable supply to customers and patients on time, every time, across the globe.
The candidate, under the direction of the Global Engineer Solutions (GES) Technology Director, will be responsible for capital project technical scoping definition that supports the business objectives of the various Merck Operating Units. The Associate Director shall bring forward a strong subject matter expertise in Mechanical and Clean Utility design to lead front end planning studies, evaluations, option selection, and start-up planning on mechanical and clean utility systems on capital projects. The candidate will collaborate with other GES and Integrated Project Team (IPT) members (e.g., Project Management, Technology, Maintenance, Automation, Plant Operations and Safety), as well as Engineering Firms and Vendors to progress deliverables.
The candidate shall exhibit strong leadership, interpersonal, communication, and decision making skills. The candidate should have a strong understanding of the line of business, maintain a strong link to industry, be able to influence multiple projects and is expected to develop and maintain technical knowledge in the respective area of expertise. Flexibility with travel and work location is also required.
Primary activities include, but are not limited to:
- Responsible for project implementation activities ranging from early pre-charter scope identification, conceptual scoping, facility layout, equipment selection, vendor interaction, construction support and troubleshooting.
- Provide technical expertise of clean utility systems, mechanical utilities, and piping system during the development of project scoping, front-end planning, and evaluation of alternative solutions for implementation on sterile and non-sterile facilities projects.
- Support major project design efforts and may lead small or minor project design efforts that meet business objectives.
- Ensure deliverable produced on projects confirm to Merck standards, are technically sound and sufficiently complete.
- Collaborate with and provides SME guidance with project teams during execution, construction and installation of utility systems.
- Author and maintain engineering design standards, guidelines, practices and position papers.
- Provide technical support and guidance during start up planning, commissioning and qualification activities of utility systems on critical capital projects
- Collaborate with site maintenance teams during troubleshooting of site utility systems
- Operate within cost and schedule constraints of project and department
- Conduct project peer reviews and provide subject matter expertise on various projects
- Coach junior engineers in their assignments via oversight
- Develop and maintain knowledge of latest industry technology trends
- Participate in professional/technical organizations.
- Interface and collaborate with Merck Global Quality, Regulatory and Validation Compliance departments on utility corporate guidance documents and initiatives
- Interface with SME’s and initiatives within Global Safety & the Environment
- Develop and chair Utilities Community of Practice (CoP)
- B.S. in Engineering or applicable science is required.
- 5 + years of experience is required. A strong working knowledge of clean steam, purified water, WFI, hygienic design, engineering fundamentals, regulatory requirements and equipment troubleshooting.
- Prior experience with engineering design of mechanical utility systems, understanding of equipment operation, and vendor management
- Prior experience with design, start up and troubleshooting of dirty and clean utility systems.
- Competent leadership and teamwork skills
- Accomplished written and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated leadership and operation of clean utility systems are highly desired
- Strong analytical abilities and solid base in engineering fundamentals.
- Prior experience operating and/ or maintenance of clean utility systems is preferred.
- Experience with design of building plumbing and fire protection systems desired
Your role at Merck is integral to helping the world meet new breakthroughs that affect generations to come, and we’re counting on your skills and inventiveness to help make meaningful contributions to global medical advancement. At Merck, we’re inventing for life.
If you need an accommodation for the application process please email us at email@example.com.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
Job: Chemical Engineering
Employee Status: Regular
Travel: Yes, 25 % of the Time
Number of Openings:
Shift (if applicable):
Company Trade Name: Merck