Specialist, R&D Procurement and Global Sourcing
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. The difference between potential and achievement lies in the spark that fuels innovation and inventiveness; this is the space where Merck has codified its 125-year legacy. Merck’s success is backed by ethical integrity, forward momentum, and an inspiring mission to achieve new milestones in global healthcare.
The selected candidate will utilize the Sourcing Management Process to support the strategic analysis of suppliers and capabilities within Research and Development Procurement. Category work would focus on sourcing support related to lab equipment, supplies, and services supporting Merck globally across animal health, research and manufacturing. This role will report to a Director with project direction from Associate Directors and Sourcing Managers to support high quality strategic analysis of suppliers and capabilities. In addition, the incumbent will support, prepare and conduct pre-negotiation planning, as well as leading RFPs, RFQs, quotation analysis, and cost modeling.Primary activities include, but are not limited to:
- Supplier and supply market analysis – to support and conduct a detailed supplier and supply market analysis looking at facts and data analysis, reports and changes in technology and with the objective of providing deep and meaningful insight to Sourcing Management teams.
- Supplier Savings Audits – to conduct supplier savings audit activities to ensure that we are properly achieving and reporting all savings according to the savings handbook to Finance to support P&L impact as well as budget enabling impact.
- Strategic Analysis – to support and conduct up to six separate forms of project analysis which turns the information gathered from 1) and 2) above into insightful, well-structured breakthrough options and opportunities. Examples include Portfolio Analysis, Supplier Preferencing and Day One Sourcing.
- Negotiation Planning and Execution – to support pre-negotiation planning activities, to support and participate in any prolonged negotiation sessions with suppliers and to conduct post negotiation debriefs and follow through plans.
- Sourcing – to create and execute RFIs, RFPs, RFQs together with subsequent structured information analysis wherever possible using modern electronic procurement processes.
- Reverse Auctions – to prepare, lead, conduct and implement Reverse Auctions on selected leverage categories.
- Contract Management – to prepare, finesse and implement appropriate forms of contract and commitment with suppliers.
- Supplier Performance Management – to ensure that appropriate supplier agreements and relationships have a good supplier matrix embedded with them. Monitor, report, manage and continuously improve supplier performance.
- Category Team Membership – to be an active member of one or more category teams using the techniques and content created in 1) to 8) above as input in the creation of breakthrough strategies.
- Sharing of Learnings – The incumbent will be expected to generate world class quality sourcing work and share and transfer this to colleagues throughout Procurement.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Science, Engineering, Business, or other related subject required. MBA or advanced degree is desirable.
- Requires two or more years in a pharmaceutical industry role such as, but not limited to, clinical development, drug discovery research, and / or strategic supply chain.
- Excellent communication, relationship, and leadership skills are required.
- Must be adaptable in dealing with ambiguous and complex environments.
- Able to effectively lead work within diverse cross-functional teams to achieve stakeholder, department, and company goals.
- An in depth understanding of the drug development process.
- Understanding of lab equipment and lab supplies utilized in a research and manufacturing environment to collaborate with researchers and drive standardization across Merck where possible.
- Demonstrated application of Merck Leadership Standards or similar leadership standards outside of Merck, with particular strengths in Championing Change, Communicate Candidly, Build Talent, and Achieves Results is desired.
Your role at Merckis integral to helping the world meet new breakthroughs that affect generationsto come, and we’re counting on your skills and inventiveness to help makemeaningful contributions to global medical advancement. At Merck, we’reinventing for life.
If you need anaccommodation for the application process please email us email@example.com
Job: Procurement Generic
Employee Status: Regular
Number of Openings:
Shift (if applicable):
Company Trade Name: Merck