Economic Inclusion and Supplier Diversity Lead
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. The difference between potential and achievement lies in the spark that fuels innovation and inventiveness; this is the space where Merck has codified its legacy for over a century. Merck’s success is backed by ethical integrity, forward momentum, and an inspiring mission to achieve new milestones in global healthcare.
Our ability to excel depends on the integrity, knowledge, imagination, skill, diversity and teamwork of an individual like you. To this end, we strive to create an environment of mutual respect, encouragement and teamwork. As part of our global team, you'll have the opportunity to collaborate with talented and dedicated colleagues while developing and expanding your career.
The selected candidate will report into the Executive Director, Processes, Operations & Strategy within the Global Supplier Management Group and proactively engage w/ category CoEs for RFx, Source Recommendation Committee (SRC) and inclusion strategies (Supply Strategy Council, (SSC)) to drive performance toward set goals and targets. This role will establish and recommend the strategy for Economic Inclusion and Supplier Diversity within Merck and lead both tactical and strategic projects while providing recommendations for operational excellence and sustainable processes. Internal and external focus is required. This role requires an understanding of procurement and sourcing processes, as well as Economic Inclusion and Supplier Diversity (EI & SD). The selected candidate must have ability to engage and influence at all levels of the organization. Requires travel.
Roles and responsibilities will include but are not limited to:
- Establish and sustain buy-in for the Merck strategy for Economic Inclusion and Supplier Diversity (EI & SD)
- Consult with and advise senior management on developing and integrating strategies into business practices with diverse suppliers
- Lead the economic inclusion and supplier diversity team within the global supplier management group to establish and achieve goals
- Represent Merck at various Economic Inclusion and Supplier Diversity outreach events, building rapport and establishing relationships with key external partners
- Proactively engage w/ category CoEs for RFX, Source Recommendation Committee (SRC) and inclusion strategies (Supply Strategy Council, (SSC)) to drive performance toward set Economic Inclusion and Supplier Diversity goals and targets
- Influence sourcing and procurement decisions through analysis, relationship building and securing alignment with Merck sourcing organization and key stakeholders
- Innovate to ensure Global Supplier Diversity objectives are met including incorporating best practices, Supplier development forums, and key customer and internal stakeholder engagement
- Encourage, influence and support strategic suppliers to embed supplier diversity within their supply chain
- Identify Small and Diverse owned suppliers that meet Merck requirements including cost, quality, service, reliability and innovation
- Oversee / manage the creation of analytical reports to monitor and report on diverse supplier utilization trends and performance to goals ensuring compilation of key data and maintenance of reports
- Make continuous improvements to monitoring, reporting and systems to ensure accurate measurement of progress in reviewing and encouraging Small and Diverse Suppliers
- Support the establishment of Merck EI&SD strategies across European, Middle Eastern, and African countries as well as the Asia Pacific and Latin America regions where possible
- Manage the Tier 2 process
- Will be a member of the Source Recommendation Committee (SRC)
- Will be a member of Merck Global Diversity and Inclusion Committee
- Will lead and manage EI & SD resources to fulfill goals and objectives
- Active engagement with key external partners (BDR, NMSDC, WBENC, NGRC, NGLCC and others)
Education Minimum Requirement:
- Bachelor degree plus 10 years experience or Advanced degree plus 8 years experience required.
- At least five years experience in a supervisory or management role
- Excellent leadership, communication, presentation, organization, problem solving and influencing skills are also required.
- Must be adaptable in dealing with ambiguous and complex environments.
- Able to effectively lead work within diverse cross functional teams to achieve customer, department, and company goals.
- Must have ability to effectively engage with all levels of the organization including executive leaders across the enterprise.
- Expertise in analyzing data, establishing trends, project management and reporting
- Demonstrated ability to bring a strategic business level approach to the role
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Experience in development and expansion of Economic Inclusion projects/initiatives
- Proficiency with MS Office
- Ability to manage and influence various levels of internal stakeholders
- Ability to prioritize multiple projects and tasks.
- Adaptability in dealing with ambiguous and complex environments.
- Ability to effectively lead work within diverse cross-functional teams to achieve customer, department, and company goals.
- Experience in navigating through highly complex organizations
- Global Supplier Diversity and Tier 2 process experience
Your role at Merck is integral to helping the world meet new breakthroughs that affect generations to come, and we’re counting on your skills and inventiveness to help make meaningful contributions to global medical advancement. At Merck, we’re inventing for life.
If you need an accommodation for the application process please email us at email@example.com.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
Job: Procurement Generic
Employee Status: Regular
Travel: Yes, 50 % of the Time
Number of Openings:
Shift (if applicable):
Company Trade Name: Merck