Director, Clinical Safety & Risk Management (Oncology) Job
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. The difference between potential and achievement lies in the spark that fuels innovation and inventiveness; this is the space where Merck has codified its legacy for over a century. Merck’s success is backed by ethical integrity, forward momentum, and an inspiring mission to achieve new milestones in global healthcare.
Merck’s Oncology organization is dedicated to delivering breakthrough innovations that extend and improve the lives of cancer patients worldwide. Our team of dauntless, forward-thinking individuals achieves this through an unwavering commitment to supporting accessibility to medicine, providing new therapeutic procedures, and collaborating with governments and payers to ensure that people who need medicines have access to them. At Merck, our focus is on innovation and launch execution excellence; we translate breakthrough science into innovative medicines that help people with cancer across the globe.
Under the general direction of an Executive Director, Oncology, the Clinical Safety and Risk Management Director is a leader in drug safety and is responsible for overall clinical risk management and safety surveillance of assigned investigational and marketed drugs.
Key responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Support product development activities via Risk Management and Safety Teams and Product Development Teams and other related sub-team participation, including participation in internal and joint internal/external research project teams relevant to the development of new compounds and the further study of marketed compounds.
- The CSRM Senior Principal Scientist may work closely with a cross-functional group of experts in epidemiology, regulatory affairs, statistics, and manufacturing to manage safety topics under evaluation.
- Duties include all aspects of safety data evaluation, including assessing safety from multiple sources, e.g. clinical trials, literature and post-approval use and ensuring completeness of safety information in worldwide package circulars.
- Responsible for safety surveillance activities such as safety signaling reviews, using medical judgment in review of individual cases as well as overseeing the medical judgment of other staff.
- Risk management activities such as contributing to recommendations for pharmacovigilance actions and making recommendations for labeling.
- Ensuring that the safety sections of Company product circulars are medically and scientifically appropriate.
- Analyzing and summarizing the findings from available safety data to support decisions.
- The CSRM Senior Principal Scientist may supervise the activities of CSRM Staff in the execution of safety data analysis and medical writing.
- Responsible for the development of worldwide post-market risk management plans, pharmacovigilance strategies and risk minimizations activities as warranted.
- MD/DO or equivalent
- Minimum 3 years clinical experience
- Experience in drug safety, pharmacovigilance and/or risk management
- Industry experience in both the investigational and post-marketing environments
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills as well as analytic skills
- Board certification is highly desirable
- Oncology expertise
Your role at Merck is integral to helping the world meet new breakthroughs that affect generations to come, and we’re counting on your skills and inventiveness to help make meaningful contributions to global medical advancement. At Merck, we’re inventing for life.
If you need an accommodation for the application process please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
Job: Drug Safety Surveillance (MD)
Employee Status: Regular
Travel: Yes, 5 % of the Time
Number of Openings:
Shift (if applicable):
Company Trade Name: Merck