Director of Immunology Job
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. The difference between potential and achievement lies in the spark that fuels innovation and inventiveness; this is the space where Merck has codified its legacy for over a century. Merck’s success is backed by ethical integrity, forward momentum, and an inspiring mission to achieve new milestones in global healthcare.
Merck is on a quest for cures and is committed to being the world’s premier, most research-intensive biopharmaceutical company. Today, we’re doubling down on this goal. Merck Research Laboratories is a true scientific research facility of tomorrow, and will take Merck’s leading discovery capabilities and world-class small molecule and biologics R&D expertise to create breakthrough science that radically changes the way we approach serious diseases.
We are seeking a highly motivated and experienced Immunologist with a strong understanding of drug development to lead our Autoimmunity/Inflammation Discovery team at Merck, Boston. He/she will provide strategic, focused, innovative and flexible leadership for the therapeutic area. The successful candidate will lead the therapeutic areas target discovery and validation efforts as well as the non-clinical evaluation of drug candidates. He/she will lead the overall strategy for both internal programs as well as potential in-licensing opportunities. He/she will directly manage a team of approximately 20 PhD scientists and research associates. As the head of the autoimmune/inflammation team, this individual needs to be a natural leader who has a demonstrated ability to motivate and inspire others and is a good team player. The candidate is expected to be up to date on advanced technologies for autoimmunity/inflammation and actively apply new concepts as appropriate to continuously improve functional area capabilities. This position reports to the Executive Director of Immunotherapy at Merck, Boston.
- MD, PhD or PhD with 12 years’ experience in industry or academia, preferably in immunology or relevant cell biology.
- A Ph.D. in immunology or relevant cell biology.as well as 10+ years of post-graduate experience is required. Prior industry experience is a strong plus.
- Expertise in inflammation and or cancer immunology. Familiar with emerging new science and/or technologies.
- Proven experience in conceiving, building and managing a pipeline of autoimmune/ inflammation-based research projects, from target selection to proof of principle.
- Established network of KOLs and academic partners in the immunology arena
- Management experience directly managing people and/or leadership role leading project teams.
- Ability to assume a leadership role to build and deliver a modality agnostic pipeline of Discovery projects, experience in the drug development process from discovery stage to IND-enabling studies a strong plus.
- Expertise with in vitro assay development, primary immune cell assays, and mechanism of action studies.
- Excellent problem solving skills for developing creative solutions and for maintaining timelines.
- Demonstrated ability to work as part of a team to execute experimental plans and deliver results is key to the success of this role.
- Strong leadership and organizational skills.
- Strong written and oral communication skills are a must.
Your role at Merck is integral to helping the world meet new breakthroughs that affect generations to come, and we’re counting on your skills and inventiveness to help make meaningful contributions to global medical advancement. At Merck, we’re inventing for life. If you need an accommodation for the application process please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
Employee Status: Regular
Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time
Number of Openings:
Shift (if applicable):
Company Trade Name: Merck