Director – Actuarial and Data Sciences Job
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. The difference between potential and achievement lies in the spark that fuels innovation and inventiveness; this is the space where Merck has codified its legacy for over a century. Merck’s success is backed by ethical integrity, forward momentum, and an inspiring mission to achieve new milestones in global healthcare.
Merck is on a quest for cures and is committed to being the world’s premier, most research-intensive biopharmaceutical company. Today, we’re doubling down on this goal. Merck Research Laboratories is a true scientific research facility of tomorrow, and will take Merck’s leading discovery capabilities and world-class small molecule and biologics R&D expertise to create breakthrough science that radically changes the way we approach serious diseases.
The Economic & Data Sciences (EDS) Department in the Merck Center for Observational and Real-world Evidence (CORE) is looking for a Director of Actuarial & Data Sciences to be responsible for planning, designing, and implementing actuarial and data science methodologies to meet the value evidence needs of payers, health systems, and clinicians. This includes applying actuarial and data science methods to generate value evidence relevant to payers and to evaluate alternative value based contracting models.
The job duties include the following:
- Leading Value Lab demonstration projects with partnerships and customers to evaluate alternative value based care programs and methodologies,
- Working closely with Customer Business Line teams, Regional Product Directors, MSD affiliates, Public Affairs, Medical Education and Merck Research Laboratories (MRL) colleagues to ensure methodologies and value metrics align with marketing strategies in the US and other key countries,
- Contributing to product development and marketing strategies to ensure that product value is defined and demonstrated from an actuarial perspective,
- Representing the EDS department on one or more Value and Evidence Sub-teams (VEST),
- Work with other EDS colleagues and VESTs to ensure health economic evaluations are relevant to customers. Advise or participate in the development of health economic analyses for AMCP and global value dossiers,
- Advancing the use of integrated actuarial quantitative approaches, focusing on predictive analytics in partnership with other internal groups and external organizations,
- Maintaining awareness of scientific developments within his/her areas of expertise,
- Presenting applications of actuarial methods in the health technology assessment (HTA) field at international/national congresses and publishes articles in scientific journals.
We are seeking an individual that is comfortable working independently and can initiate innovative projects that bridge actuarial science, data science, and HTA methodologies. The individual should also be comfortable solving complex problems across multi-functional teams. Finally, we are looking for an individual that educates and influences multi-functional teams on the value of actuarial methods in developing value evidence for our customers.
- Masters or Doctoral degree in Actuarial Sciences
- 7 years of experience in the design and implementation of actuarial methods in healthcare
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Experience in application of actuarial methods in managed care, health plans, and/or the pharmaceutical industry
- Experience in application of predictive analytics and other data science methods
Your role at Merck is integral to helping the world meet new breakthroughs that affect generations to come, and we’re counting on your skills and inventiveness to help make meaningful contributions to global medical advancement. At Merck, we’re inventing for life.
If you need an accommodation for the application process please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
Job: Quantitative Sciences Generic
Employee Status: Regular
Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time
Number of Openings:
Shift (if applicable):
Company Trade Name: Merck