Principal Scientist, Vaccine Analytical Development
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. The difference between potential and achievement lies in the spark that fuels innovation and inventiveness; this is the space where Merck has codified its legacy for over a century. Merck’s success is backed by ethical integrity, forward momentum, and an inspiring mission to achieve new milestones in global healthcare.
Merck is on a quest for cures and is committed to being the world’s premier, most research-intensive biopharmaceutical company. Today, we’re doubling down on this goal. Merck Research Laboratories is a true scientific research facility of tomorrow, and will take Merck’s leading discovery capabilities and world-class small molecule and biologics R&D expertise to create breakthrough science that radically changes the way we approach serious diseases.
We currently have an exciting opportunity to join our Bioprocess Research & Development team located at our West Point, PA site.
This position supports Merck's discovery & development efforts for programs in the Department of Vaccine Analytical Development at West Point, PA. The incumbent is responsible for development and execution of analytical methods and procedures to support process and formulation development, and/or release, stability and characterization of vaccine products. The incumbent will either perform this work directly or will develop and supervise a group of 0-5 associate level scientists.
Specific duties will include, but are not limited to:
- Development, optimization, validation & implementation of cell based assays (bioassays) for recombinant, conjugate & live-virus-based vaccines
- The design & implementation of rugged analytical cell based assays, meeting aggressive project timelines
- Active participation in cross-functional teams
- Preparation of documentation for regulatory submissions
- Project leadership
- Ph.D. degree in virology, biology, immunology or related fields
- In-depth knowledge and understanding of biochemical/biological assays and possess strong scientific & technical leadership skills
- Minimum of 8 years of industrial experience in the development and validation of cell-based assays for proteins or vaccines
- Excellent verbal & written communication skills
- Understanding and practical knowledge of GMPs as applied to analytical requirements
- Strong awareness of industry/regulatory trends
- Knowledge of emerging technologies
- Experience of project leadership is desirable
Your role at Merck is integral to helping the world meet new breakthroughs that affect generations to come, and we’re counting on your skills and inventiveness to help make meaningful contributions to global medical advancement. At Merck, we’re inventing for life.
If you need an accommodation for the application process please email us at email@example.com.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
Job: Biologics, Vaccines, Analytical Formulat
Employee Status: Regular
Number of Openings:
Shift (if applicable):
Company Trade Name: Merck