Sr. Principal Scientist/Director, Oncology Translational Science and Clinical Biomarkers
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. The difference between potential and achievement lies in the spark that fuels innovation and inventiveness; this is the space where Merck has codified its legacy for over a century. Merck’s success is backed by ethical integrity, forward momentum, and an inspiring mission to achieve new milestones in global healthcare.
Merck’s Oncology organization is dedicated to delivering breakthrough innovations that extend and improve the lives of cancer patients worldwide. Our team of dauntless, forward-thinking individuals achieves this through an unwavering commitment to supporting accessibility to medicine, providing new therapeutic procedures, and collaborating with governments and payers to ensure that people who need medicines have access to them. At Merck, our focus is on innovation and launch execution excellence; we translate breakthrough science into innovative medicines that help people with cancer across the globe.
The Director will leadthe design and execution of cutting-edge translational science and clinicalbiomarker research across Merck Oncology programs. This individual willcoordinate the activities of a team of translational science and clinicalbiomarker leads supporting both early- and late-stage clinical developmentteams. The Director will have the opportunity to guide the development oftranslational research and biomarker plans across the entire portfolio ofearly- and late-stage oncology clinical programs.
Reporting into the Headof Translational Oncology, this individual will assume a role in a dynamic,cross-functional environment as the leader of an effort that represents the keyinterface between early-and late-stage development teams and functional areaswith expertise in various scientific and operational aspects of translationalresearch and biomarker development. The Director will guide the development andoversee the activities of individual team biomarker and translational scienceleads. This guidance will ensure that translational science-relatedcommunication is optimized between development teams and the widerorganization, emerging translational data from individual clinical programs areinterpreted and communicated for maximal impact, and team-level clinicalstrategy and clinical study design are guided by emerging cross-programmatictranslational data.
Responsibilities willinclude, but are not limited to the following:
- Strategic and tacticaloversight of all product- and protocol-level translational research andexploratory biomarker plans
- Participate in theanalysis of a wealth of translational data from Merck-sponsored clinicalstudies, and help to guide the creation translational research partnershipswith leading academic investigators and nonprofits
- Will be part of a teamof cross-functional leaders that guide Translational Oncology strategy acrossMerck’s oncology portfolio. These efforts are expected to transform ourunderstanding of the mechanisms of response and resistance to cancerimmunotherapy, leading to the identification of new drug targets and biomarkers
- Oversee the activitiesof a set of translational science and clinical biomarker leads across early-and late-stage oncology clinical development programs
- This position will haveat least two direct reports as well as a number of indirect/matrixed reports
- Guide team’sprofessional development, set goals and metrics to maximize their impact asmembers of early- and late-stage development teams.
- Ensure that team-levelbiomarker and translational research strategies and protocol-level biomarkerplans are fully articulated and aligned with broader translational research andexploratory biomarker work across the portfolio.
- While working withcolleagues across multiple functional areas, ensures that translational scienceand biomarker efforts are optimally integrated into the broader organizationalstructure.
- Addresses operationalissues associated with biomarker efforts, optimizing the informatics toolsavailable to biomarker leads to allow them to leverage our growing internaldatasets, building formal communication channels to ensure effectivecommunication of emerging preclinical, translational and clinical observations,and ensuring cross-functional alignment with clinical, diagnostics andtranslational research leadership.
In conjunction withcolleagues in the translational research organization, supports the developmentof a portfolio of partnered translational research that compliments thebiomarker efforts in our sponsored studies. Interface and collaborateexternally with biologists, geneticists, physicians, pathologists, andbioinformatics experts to develop a scientifically and strategically robustportfolio of research that will answer critical questions about mechanisms ofimmunotherapy response and resistance.
Specificresponsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
Your role at Merck is integral to helping the world meet new breakthroughs that affect generations to come, and we’re counting on your skills and inventiveness to help make meaningful contributions to global medical advancement. At Merck, we’re inventing for life.
If you need an accommodation for the application process please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
MERCKHJ102017, PAWC, GHDVCF, IHDVCF
Job: Clinical Research (M.D.)
Employee Status: Regular
Travel: Yes, 25 % of the Time
Number of Openings:
Shift (if applicable):
Company Trade Name: Merck