Associate Principal Scientist, Biologics Discovery Job
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. The difference between potential and achievement lies in the spark that fuels innovation and inventiveness; this is the space where Merck has codified its legacy for over a century. Merck’s success is backed by ethical integrity, forward momentum, and an inspiring mission to achieve new milestones in global healthcare.
Merck is on a quest for cures and is committed to being the world’s premier, most research-intensive biopharmaceutical company. Today, we’re doubling down on this goal. Merck Research Laboratories is a true scientific research facility of tomorrow, and will take Merck’s leading discovery capabilities and world-class small molecule and biologics R&D expertise to create breakthrough science that radically changes the way we approach serious diseases.
Merck strives to become a leader in the discovery and development of Biologic Therapeutics. To this end, we are seeking an Associated Principal Scientist to join the Biologics Discovery Boston organization. The successful candidate will be responsible for molecular construction of recombinant proteins including design and build binding protein libraries for lead identification and optimization campaigns by in vitro display technologies; support generation of target antigens for binding protein discovery and evolve binding proteins e.g. antibodies, non-Ig scaffolds, and multi-specifics for desired therapeutic efficacy; act as Biologics Discovery liaison on project teams; and maintain a strong, external scientific reputation for the Biologics Discovery through publications & presentations.
- PhD or equivalent degree in a life science discipline with at least 3 years' post-doctoral experiences
- Strong molecular biology skills with direct hands-on experience in protein and antibody discovery and engineering as demonstrated by publications/patents
- Experience in recombinant protein expression, purification and analytics for target proteins and antibodies
- Supervisory experience of leading 1 – 2 junior scientists or interns
- Strong interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills and ability to execute in a matrix organization
- Industry experience in a protein sciences or biologic discovery function
- Experience in designing and generating innovative binding proteins beyond traditional antibodies, e.g. non-Ig scaffolds, multi-specifics, enzymes, ADCs, immunocytokines, etc.
- Experience in one or more binding protein discovery methods e.g. phage, yeast, or other in vitro displays, hybridoma fusion and cloning, single B cell antibody cloning, etc.
- Automation experience with high-through molecular cloning, protein expression and characterization is desirable
- Experience in leading or coordinating internal or external discovery teams
- Familiarity with drug discovery process from early discovery to preclinical development
Your role at Merck is integral to helping the world meet new breakthroughs that affect generations to come, and we’re counting on your skills and inventiveness to help make meaningful contributions to global medical advancement. At Merck, we’re inventing for life.
If you need an accommodation for the application process please email us at email@example.com.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
Job: Molecular Discovery - Biologics
Employee Status: Regular
Travel: Yes, 5 % of the Time
Number of Openings:
Shift (if applicable):
Company Trade Name: Merck