Automation Engineer Job
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. The difference between potential and achievement lies in the spark that fuels innovation and inventiveness; this is the space where Merck has codified its 125-year legacy. Merck’s success is backed by ethical integrity, forward momentum, and an inspiring mission to achieve new milestones in global healthcare.
Merck’s Information Technology organization partners with colleagues across the business to help serve our patients and customers around the world. Ours is a high energy team of dynamic, innovative individuals dedicated to advancing Merck’s contribution to global medical innovation by leveraging information and technology to efficiently advance the business by driving revenue and productivity.
How will you invent the future?
As an Experienced Automation Engineer at Merck’s Austin IT HUB, you will be part of inventing tomorrow. Our Innovative centers are where great people come together and deliver solutions that save and improve lives.
Are you a developer who is seriously curious about Continuous delivery and Infrastructure-as-Code because you want to build intuitive systems that enable organizations to achieve higher feature velocity while also becoming more reliable?
Are you a system admin who has a passion for coding and scripting because … well … for the same reasons as above? We are seeking motivated talent interested in solving problems to improve tomorrow.
Your main job will be:
- To take care of Continuous delivery for our software products, making sure that all parts are as fast and as resilient as possible
- To make sure that the system and the data there are available as agreed
- To deliver to our scientists and manufacturing people an IT solution that helps them to come with new groundbreaking medical treatments
- Be an experienced member of a team building leading edge, Scientific Domain applications and services across the drug discovery pipeline.
- Communicate and collaborate - participating in the discovery, refinement, articulation, and implementation of scalable software development patterns
- Code – building Continuous delivery pipelines, including Infrastructure-as-Code and using Bitbucket/Robot/Jenkins/Artifactory/Ansible/Docker/Python and other related tools
- Operate – participate on follow-the-sun duties for the release pipelines and ensure that availability, performance and scalability are actually reached
- Perform Scientific Data Analysis - study production infrastructure and application monitoring & logging systems to help identify root causes behind complex problems, propose hypotheses, and conduct low risk experiments to prove or disprove hypotheses
- Document and automate tool creation - make the team more scalable by creating self-documenting technical systems and building scripts and tools to boost developer productivity
- Managing and mentoring junior members of the team.
You will work and learn more about:
- Software Engineering and being part of a diverse, global team
- Leading edge DevOps and Continuous Integration tools and techniques
- Working in a Global Healthcare company
Bachelors Degree or higher in IT, Software Engineering, Computer Science, or related fields
A minimum of 3 years of relevant work experience, preferably including leading small to medium teams of developers.
Curiosity, communication, enthusiasm
Desire to learn new things
Development in at least one of: scripting languages such as Unix shells, Python, Perl,…
higher programming languages such as Java, Scala
Administration of various flavors of Linux machines
Configuration tools such as Ansible, Salt, Chef
Cloud solutions such as AWS, Azure
Version control system (preferably Git)
Various Atlassian products
Software build environments such as Maven, Gradle
Exposure to life sciences and Health Care is a big plus
Ability to understand strategic IT goals in order to be able to execute tasks in support of technology integration initiatives
Ability to work independently, asynchronously (across time zones) and with excellent communication skills that cross language/culture/geographic boundaries
Your role at Merck is integral to helping the world meet new breakthroughs that affect generations to come, and we’re counting on your skills and inventiveness to help make meaningful contributions to global medical advancement. At Merck, we’re inventing for life.
If you need an accommodation for the application process please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
Job: Engineering, Development & Integration
Employee Status: Regular
Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time
Number of Openings:
Shift (if applicable):
Company Trade Name: Merck