Associate Principal Scientist – Kidney Disease & Fibrosis Job
Merck Research Laboratories South San Francisco, a wholly owned subsidiary of Merck and Co., is focused on driving discovery research. Our new multi-disciplinary discovery research site offers state-of- the-art resources to explore the most promising science combined with Merck’s world-class R&D expertise in small molecules and biologics. Located within the heart of the Bay area’s biomedical community, research conducted in our new laboratories spans exploratory biology through early clinical development and is an integral part of Merck’s powerful world-class network of drug and vaccine discovery.
At Merck, we are inspired by the belief that a research-driven enterprise dedicated to scientific excellence can create medicines and vaccines that save and improve lives. Every employee is building on our proud legacy of scientific breakthrough. Our ability to impact the lives of patients worldwide depends on the integrity, creativity, humility and scientific acumen of our team. We are creating a diverse organization that is inspired by invention and founded on a culture of respect and collaboration. At Merck Research Labs South San Francisco, you’ll have the opportunity to expand your knowledge and skills through collaboration with talented and dedicated colleagues while advancing your career.
The Cardiometabolic Disease therapeutic area within the Discovery Research organization at Merck is seeking an Associate Principal Scientist who is highly motivated with experience in identifying, validating and advancing drug targets to treat a broad array of cardio-renal, metabolic and fibrotic diseases. We seek a drug hunter who puts patients first as the central goal of their research. The location will be the preclinical research laboratories at our new state of the art facility in the South San Francisco Bay Area, CA, where you will be able to participate in a vibrant culture of world leading academic and biotech research centers. Beyond local connections, you will also be able to supplement your research activities by taking advantage of the technologies and capabilities of the wider Merck network of sites in Boston, MA as well as NJ and PA.
- The successful candidate will be expected to show a high degree of independence in conducting experiments in the laboratory, and to provide scientific and strategic input into the target portfolio, preclinical animal models and novel in vitro/ex-vivo techniques supporting the programs.
- Expected to launch and champion new initiatives and drive innovation
- Expected to mentor junior colleagues
- Will lead discovery programs up to entry into preclinical development and participate on early and late development teams, informing on preclinical studies to support product development
- Should be highly self-motivated, possess strong experimental and technical research skills, have strong written and oral communication skills, and be able to work productively in a collaborative and cross functional team environment within and outside of the Merck Research Laboratories
- Relevant areas of training and experience include one or more of the following; chronic kidney disease or diseases associated with pathological remodeling of lung or liver or heart
- Ph.D. in Physiology, Pharmacology or related discipline (Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, Pathology, etc.)
Minimum of (4) years Industry experience
Experience in one or more of the following disease areas:
Deep Understanding of pathways driving pathological tissue remodeling
Experience in whole body physiology, extensive knowledge of rodent and non-rodent in vivo models in your CMD sub-discipline
The quality of our team is essential to our success. We are creating a new and innovative approach to rewarding our employees and establishing a comprehensive value proposition. Our competitive compensation program and benefits are designed to support the wide range of goals, needs and lifestyles of our employees, and the people that matter the most in their lives. If you need an accommodation for the application process please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. Today, we are building a new kind of healthcare company – one that is ready to help create a healthier future for us all.
EEOC Poster EEOC GINA Supplement
MERCKHJ102017, PAWC, GHDVCF, IHDVCF
Job: Research Science
Employee Status: Regular
Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time
Number of Openings:
Shift (if applicable):
Company Trade Name: Merck