IDS Account Executive - Healthcare System (NYC/NY) Job
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. The difference between potential and achievement lies in the spark that fuels innovation and inventiveness; this is the space where Merck has codified its legacy for over a century. Merck’s success is backed by ethical integrity, forward momentum, and an inspiring mission to achieve new milestones in global healthcare.
Merck’s Global Human Health (GHH) Division abides by a “patient first, profits later” ideology. Results-driven and ambitious, this team of individuals represents a functional balance between meeting company objectives and the needs of people around the world. The organization is comprised of sales and marketing professionals who are passionate about their role in bringing Merck's prescription medicines, vaccines, and other medical products to our customers worldwide.
TERRITORY: NYC, NY
The Integrated Delivery System Account Executive (IDS AE) is the primary point of contact within Merck & Co., Inc. responsible for managing and implementing a business relationship with assigned Integrated Delivery Systems (IDS) (typically 2-4). The IDS AE is accountable for Merck’s overall portfolio business performance, business relationship and customer experience with assigned accounts.
The IDS AE has a deep understanding of each Account and market that will enable strategic assessments and identification of appropriate opportunities to improve population health aligned to areas of mutual interest between the customer and Merck. The IDS AE will serve as overall “quarterback” for these IDS Accounts through strong collaboration and strategic coordination with other Merck roles that also support the Accounts. The IDS AE works to ensure the Account’s needs are appropriately met to ensure Merck delivers a patient-focused customer experience.
With all assigned accounts, the IDS AE will be responsible for understanding and anticipating the Account’s goal and needs across the system of care and to identify opportunities to develop and deliver approved resources, lead the development of integrated account plans to help achieve improved population health outcomes and identify challenges to successful customer interactions, implementing the right internal mechanism as appropriate to mitigate them.
The IDS AE will also continuously assess each Account’s evolution and any potential impact to Merck’s strategy and monitor and ensure alignment across Merck on each Account’s business position, including product prioritization at the account and market level.
The IDS AE is able to engage and coordinate initiatives with senior leaders in a variety of business situations. Account interactions include, but are not limited to, “c-suite” executives, service line leaders and decision makers within the Account including other key stakeholders who directly impact clinical practice. The IDS AE will indirectly lead cross-functional teams and communicate strategy and direction to ensure execution of the strategic plan to appropriately address Account needs and improve patient health outcomes. The IDS AE must have a strong understanding of the regulations and policies that govern customer interactions and demonstrate consistent focus on ensuring compliance with them.
Primary Activities & Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
- Serves as the primary Merck interface for the IDS Accounts responsible for the overall customer experience with key stakeholders in the account.
- Establishes account relationships and maintains an effective communication network with the account at multiple levels, including corporate executive personnel, medical directors in charge of provider networks, quality directors, service line leaders, pharmacy directors, IT/operations directors, P&T and clinical committee members and financial directors.
- Conducts internal business strategy discussions and account performance reviews routinely to ensure that the Integrated Account Management Region Director, Director of Commercial Operations, all Account Executives, Service Lines, Customer Team Leader(s), Customer Team Representative(s) and other Merck personnel understand the customer's business strategy and appropriately support it at all levels.
- Maintains a macro view of the customer to appropriately allocate Merck resources (people, products, and capabilities) to all key accounts and stakeholders
- Demonstrates commitment to compliance through understanding of regulations and policies that govern customer interactions through a consistent focus on ensuring compliance with all regulations and policies in their communications and actions with the customer and with other Merck personnel.
- Demonstrates leadership among peers by consistently communicating a clear and appropriate strategy for each assigned account and ensuring the efficient and effective use of approved Merck resources and personnel to achieve business objectives consistent with Merck policies and become a trusted resource for the customer to help improve patient health outcomes.
- Provides approved, high-level disease and product information and resources to key decision makers and stakeholders within accounts, providing appropriate connection to other Merck functions enabling relevant customer engagement.
- Maintains current knowledge of standards of care and emerging clinical trends and is able to articulate approved product information related to these topics.
- Understands relevant quality initiatives and discusses those using approved Merck resources and messages.
- Conducts market profiling activities to ensure a deep understanding of regional and local health care delivery, recent trends, and the interplay across stakeholders inside and outside of the account and payer systems by the account team.
- Knowledgeable on business and financial information, business organizations, operating procedures, trends and customer operations and utilizes this information to guide planning.
- Knowledgeable on health economics information related to population management and quality and engages in discussions of them using approved resources. Shares specific customer requests with the appropriate account team members to enable appropriate engagement when aligned to account coverage.
- Knowledgeable on relevant quality metrics, clinical protocols, care pathways, relative cost of care and sufficient background knowledge on pay for performance initiatives.
- Proactively identifies business opportunities with assigned accounts and leads appropriate coordination of effort.
- Understands current state and emerging trends in business operations affecting practice management such as Annual Report, payer initiatives, EMR capabilities, and clinical care pathway development.
- Conducts Account Profiling activities and SWOT to ensure a deep knowledge of assigned account through internal research and appropriate proactive gathering and integration of information and insights from various stakeholders within the account(and outside account (i.e. health plan, quality organization, business coalition)e.g. business model, relevant business and quality metrics, unique challenges, competitors/collaborators, account’s capabilities and limitations and strategic goals.
- Networks with various stakeholders across the account and in the market and develops a breadth and depth of relationships within each account to ensure an understanding of each account’s objectives, goals, drivers and challenges and identifies approved Merck resources that are aligned to the customer’s needs.
- Sets vision, prioritizes short and long term objectives, strategies and plan for use of approved tactics by account team members, focused on addressing customer’s areas of mutual interest and improving patient health outcomes.
- Proactively meets with account to solicit feedback and adjust account plan on a regular basis.
- Coordinates effectively with other Merck personnel to bring approved Merck information and resources to decision makers.
- Develops and leads an integrated Merck approach within each account. Proactively engages account team members to plan, effectively implement and evaluate performance and activities within accounts.
- Consistently maintains a future focus on emerging trends and patient care needs in relevant therapeutic areas, uncovering and reporting underlying issues that may inform broad or account-specific strategies.
- Required: BS/BA Degree
- Preferred: Science/ healthcare major and/or advanced science, public health or allied healthcare degree
- Preferred: MBA
- Minimum of 3 years demonstrated strong account management experience leading substantive revenue generating accounts
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience in sales leadership, marketing and/or strategy preferably in the healthcare industry
- Minimum 4 years demonstrated direct or indirect leadership (with or without position authority)
- Ability to build and develop customer relationships, including the ability to effectively represent Merck and its products to senior levels of management and key thought leaders
- Innovative thinking and exceptional business acumen, analytical and problem-solving skills
- Ability to understand, distill and communicate complex scientific and public health related concepts at an appropriate literacy level to diverse audiences
- Strong presentation and training skills
- Strong project management and negotiations skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills with ability to interact with individuals from a variety of cultures, and disciplines
- Strong peer leadership and ability to collaborate with and coordinate activity among individuals in different reporting structures within the organization
- Self-motivated with the ability to perform with a high level of autonomy
- Strong understanding of compliance-related concepts including the laws, regulations and policies that govern pharmaceutical marketing and sales activities and the importance of compliance in all job-related functions
- Fluent in conversational and written English
- Proficient in Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint, Word and Outlook
- Experience in a strategic or management role with an integrated delivery system
- Experience in managed care and contracting
Your role at Merck is integral to helping the world meet new breakthroughs that affect generations to come, and we’re counting on your skills and inventiveness to help make meaningful contributions to global medical advancement. At Merck, we’re inventing for life.
If you need an accommodation for the application process please email us at email@example.com.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
Job: Account Management Generic
Employee Status: Regular
Travel: Yes, 50 % of the Time
Number of Openings:
Shift (if applicable):
Company Trade Name: Merck