Senior Scientist – Specialty Dosage Forms
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. The difference between potential and achievement lies in the spark that fuels innovation and inventiveness; this is the space where Merck has codified its legacy for over a century. Merck’s success is backed by ethical integrity, forward momentum, and an inspiring mission to achieve new milestones in global healthcare.
Merck is on a quest for cures and is committed to being the world’s premier, most research-intensive biopharmaceutical company. Today, we’re doubling down on this goal. Merck Research Laboratories is a true scientific research facility of tomorrow, and will take Merck’s leading discovery capabilities and world-class small molecule and biologics R&D expertise to create breakthrough science that radically changes the way we approach serious diseases.
Join us and experience our culture first-hand — one of strong ethics & integrity, diversified experiences, exceptional science and a resounding passion for improving human health. As part of our global team, you’ll have the opportunity to collaborate with talented and dedicated colleagues while developing and expanding your career. We currently have an exciting opportunity to join our Specialty Dosage Forms group located at our Rahway, NJ site.
The analytical Senior Scientist within the Specialty Dosage Forms organization guides the development of a wide range of dosage forms, including long-acting parenterals, inhalation and nasal drug products. Analytical assignments involve analysis of formulated and unformulated pharmaceutical substances to be used in preclinical and clinical studies. The Senior Scientist supports the analytical development of drug products and develops innovative analytical solutions.
Key Responsibilities and Primary Activities:
- Develop and validate analytical methods for the in-vitro characterization of novel dosage forms.
- Work on interdisciplinary teams to advance the development of drug products.
- Apply scientific expertise and research experience to solve problems creatively and independently.
- Drive in-vitro evaluations of drug products and formulations.
- Contribute to the development of clinically relevant dissolution methods.
- Identify, evaluate and recommend new technology and instrumentation for the department.
- Document results in electronic notebooks, LIMS systems and formal reports/memos as needed.
- Communicate findings and interpret results to key stakeholders via written reports and presentations.
- Contribute to development milestone reports and/or filing documents.
- Collaborate fluently with discovery and manufacturing colleagues.
- May present to senior management, worldwide teams or external audiences.
- Maintain established scientific excellence and commitment to innovation.
- May lead and implement departmental and inter-departmental initiatives (e.g. new technology, improved collaborations between different departments, development and implementation of new business processes, etc.).
- Mentors junior scientists and may supervise scientific staff. Provides input into end of year reviews.
Additional activities may be assigned by the manager/supervisor.
- A PhD, or obtaining a PhD by January 2018, in Analytical Chemistry, Pharmaceutics or equivalent field is required.
- Analytical research experience
- Excellent communication skills
- Proven track record of technical problem solving
- In-vitro characterization of sustained release dosage forms
- Experience with common analytical chemistry instrumentation and techniques
- Familiarity with pharmaceutical development
Your role at Merck is integral to helping the world meet new breakthroughs that affect generations to come, and we’re counting on your skills and inventiveness to help make meaningful contributions to global medical advancement. At Merck, we’re inventing for life.
If you need an accommodation for the application process please email us at email@example.com.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
Job: Preclinical Dev Generic
Employee Status: Regular
Travel: Yes, 5 % of the Time
Number of Openings:
Shift (if applicable):
Company Trade Name: Merck