Engineer, Packaging Technical Operations Job
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. The difference between potential and achievement lies in the spark that fuels innovation and inventiveness; this is the space where Merck has codified its legacy for over a century. Merck’s success is backed by ethical integrity, forward momentum, and an inspiring mission to achieve new milestones in global healthcare.
Merck Manufacturing Division, MMD, is a team of dedicated, energetic individuals who are committed to being the most trusted supplier of pharmaceuticals and health products worldwide. Our facilities, along with our external contractors, suppliers, and partners, comprise an interdependent global manufacturing network that’s committed to delivering a compliant, reliable supply to customers and patients on time, every time, across the globe.
The Packaging Engineer is a technical staff member of GPO - Packaging Technical Operations, which provides packaging support to all human health products globally. Under general scientific and administrative direction, the engineer:
- Learns and applies knowledge of packaging materials, components, systems, equipment and processes to support design, qualification, define requirements for post-approval changes, and problem-solving.
- Is gaining and applying experience on scientific/technical/business issues to support projects.
- Collaborates and communicates effectively with teams to meet Merck’s goals and objectives.
- Is in the advanced stages of building and applying the knowledge and skills necessary to optimize business, technical and compliance processes.
- Is a key contributor in cross-functional divisional teams and initiatives, to achieve project goals.
- Enables network changes at internal sites and External Partners.
- Enables investigations by Root Cause Analysis (RCA) and development of Corrective Actions and Preventative Actions (CAPA).
- Collaborates with Global Change Management group, sites, functions and suppliers in planning and executing changes.
- Applies Merck Leadership Behaviors at the appropriate competency level.
- Makes inclusive, informed, cost-benefit decisions, based on analysis of inputs, outcomes, risk and likely returns.
- Understands customer, patients and stakeholder interests, and factor their input and expectations into decisions.
- Continually develops technical and leadership skills that are value-add.
- Is developing and applying the project management skills to deliver on schedule, on budget, and escalate issues to the right level, in a timely manner.
- Is building and maintaining a network of internal and external colleagues to enhance effectiveness.
- BS or higher in Packaging Engineering, Physical Sciences or other engineering disciplines with a minimum of 2 to 3 years’ experience in Packaging or pharmaceutical development or technical operations.
- MS in similar disciplines with at least 1 year experience.
- Experience in the pharmaceutical or medical device and combination products industries, with focus in one or more of the following areas: packaging, validation, technical operations, Quality, Regulatory Affairs, product development or commercialization.
- Root Cause Analysis (RCA), Corrective Action and Preventive Action (CAPA), problem solving
- Awareness of major compendia and other methods and standards such as USP, JP, EP, BP, ISTA, ISO, etc., as pertains to packaging.
- Awareness of Regulatory Requirements in major markets such as USFDA, EMA etc.
- Knowledge of industry packaging best practices and guidelines including Distribution and Thermal testing.
- Packaging equipment and process.
- Pharmaceutical packaging
- Distribution and Thermal studies
- Problem-solving skills such as Six Sigma
- Materials Science, injection molding
- Expert at building relationships, and working in a matrix organization
Your role at Merck is integral to helping the world meet new breakthroughs that affect generations to come, and we’re counting on your skills and inventiveness to help make meaningful contributions to global medical advancement. At Merck, we’re inventing for life.
If you need an accommodation for the application process please email us at email@example.com.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
Job: Packaging Engineering
Employee Status: Regular
Travel: Yes, 20 % of the Time
Number of Openings:
Shift (if applicable):
Company Trade Name: Merck