Associate Principal Scientist – Biologics and Vaccines Analytics Job
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. The difference between potential and achievement lies in the spark that fuels innovation and inventiveness; this is the space where Merck has codified its legacy for over a century. Merck’s success is backed by ethical integrity, forward momentum, and an inspiring mission to achieve new milestones in global healthcare.
Merck Manufacturing Division, MMD, is a team of dedicated, energetic individuals who are committed to being the most trusted supplier of pharmaceuticals and health products worldwide. Our facilities, along with our external contractors, suppliers, and partners, comprise an interdependent global manufacturing network that’s committed to delivering a compliant, reliable supply to customers and patients on time, every time, across the globe.
Biologics and Vaccines Analytics (BVA), Merck Manufacturing Division (MMD) is responsible for the commercialization of large molecule (vaccines, biologics) analytical techniques from Phase III through launch and transfer to supply as well as in-line analytical support to enable world-wide robust vaccine and biologics availability. This team is highly motivated, fast-paced and focused on the rapid advancement of Merck’s large molecule pipeline, plus growth of existing products. This position will influence all components of late-stage development, validation, transfer, and life cycle management of analytical methods supporting Merck’s pipeline and in-line vaccines. The selected candidate will be expected to lead development and execution of analytical strategies to support both pipeline and in-line vaccines.
Responsibilities (including, but not limited to the following):
- Lead cross-functional teams and ensure alignment with analytical strategies and Quality Systems in support of late-stage activities (e.g., Phase III clinical trials, launch preparation) for vaccines
- Interface across the Merck network, external partners, international governments and/or contract manufacturing and research organizations (CMOs/CROs) in the area of vaccine analytics
- Develop and direct execution of analytical strategies associated with method development, validation, transfer, and life-cycle management to support recombinant vaccines
- Lead preparation and execution of analytical method validations and transfers, including authoring, approving, and coordinating review of protocols and reports
- Provide timely and effective trouble-shooting of analytical issues encountered within the Merck network as well as in external partner, government, and CMO/CRO laboratories
- Coordinate analytical issue resolution via subject matter experts within the global vaccines network
- Contribute as author and reviewer to regulatory submissions
- Travel as required up to 20
- Bachelor's degree in biochemistry, molecular/cellular biology, or equivalent bio-related science with a minimum of 10 years of relevant experience in biologics or vaccines method development, plus validation; or Master's degree with a minimum of 5 years of relevant experience as above; or Ph.D. in Bio- Engineering, Bio- Science or related-field with a minimum of 3 years of relevant experience as above.
- At least 3 years working experience in the area of biologics/vaccine analytics in an industry setting
- At least 3 years working experience in a GMP setting
- Experience developing, validating, and transferring immunological/immunochemical, chromatography-based, and/or cell-based analytical methods
- Experience leading late-stage and/or in-line vaccine method development, validation, and transfer activities
- Experience leading cross-functional teams that support late-stage vaccine commercialization and marketed products
- Experience directing the laboratory activities of other analytical scientists
- Experience with vaccine drug substance and drug product specification setting and with release, stability, and extended characterization testing
- Experience with CMC document preparation, including authoring and review
- Experience in interactions with US and Ex-US regulatory authorities
- Strong organizational and project management skills
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision
- Ability to effectively identify and communicate risks
Your role at Merck is integral to helping the world meet new breakthroughs that affect generations to come, and we’re counting on your skills and inventiveness to help make meaningful contributions to global medical advancement. At Merck, we’re inventing for life.
If you need an accommodation for the application process please email us at email@example.com.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
Job: Biologics, Vaccines, Analytical Formulat
Employee Status: Regular
Travel: Yes, 20 % of the Time
Number of Openings:
Shift (if applicable):
Company Trade Name: Merck