Director, Oncology Promotions / Marketing Communications Leader Job
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. The difference between potential and achievement lies in the spark that fuels innovation and inventiveness; this is the space where Merck has codified its legacy for over a century. Merck’s success is backed by ethical integrity, forward momentum, and an inspiring mission to achieve new milestones in global healthcare.
Merck’s Oncology organization is dedicated to delivering breakthrough innovations that extend and improve the lives of cancer patients worldwide. Our team of dauntless, forward-thinking individuals achieves this through an unwavering commitment to supporting accessibility to medicine, providing new therapeutic procedures, and collaborating with governments and payers to ensure that people who need medicines have access to them. At Merck, our focus is on innovation and launch execution excellence; we translate breakthrough science into innovative medicines that help people with cancer across the globe.
The Director, Oncology Promotions/Marketing leader is responsible for managing a team of Associate Directors and Senior Specialists in the development and delivery of promotional campaigns and external promotional resources, to achieve customer objectives and drive business results.
Works closely with Global and US oncology Brand Leaders to align on business priorities and translate marketing strategy into execution, across all applicable promotional channels (customer-facing representatives, remote/teledetailing and Web/Digital), Ensures that promotional work commences with a deep understanding of Oncology customers and their needs, and that customer insights are thoughtfully incorporated to create clear, credible and compelling communications objectives and customer engagements. Manages the delivery and execution of an integrated promotional plan for each Oncology brand, and ensures that promotional resources are compliant with applicable Global and US regulations and Merck policy.
Core responsibilities include:
- Leads the oncology multichannel Promotion Teams, by providing direction and oversight for KEYTRUDA promotional resource, as well as, cross-franchise promotional assets. Responsibilities may span HCP, Consumer/Patient and Payer promotional projects.
- People Management: Demonstrates key leadership behaviors to create a high-performing and engaged promotions team. Responsible for talent development and management of direct reports, in accordance with employee development plans and company policies.
- Shapes the communication strategy for assigned Oncology brands, and demonstrates deep understanding of customer channel preference and executional segmentation. Proactively identifies issues/risks and works quickly to implement solutions. Facilitates rapid disciplined decision-making (strategic and executional), and identifies opportunities for increased effectiveness and efficiency of business processes and outcomes.
- Leads promotion teams to develop and execute promotional plans that (1) are integrated across customers and channels, (2) have detailed objectives and metrics plans, and (3) ensures promotional plans are refined to realize optimal return on investment.
- Transformational leadership: Drives strategic initiatives to improve business results, customer experience and compliance. Identifies internal and external Best Practices and Innovations in promotional planning, development, and execution. Operates flawlessly across hierarchical lines in Global / US Marketing, US Sales and with International affiliates.
- Agency Management: Manages agency partnerships to ensure deliverables are of high quality and aligned to strategic objectives, timelines are achieved, and teams are collaborative and efficient. Accountable for the integration and proficiency of the Agency model for Oncology, and leads any future evolutions.
- Planning and Financial Management: Leads Annual Budget Planning Process for the Oncology multichannel promotions team, encouraging focus on Promotional Effectiveness, Customer Journey mapping and Innovation. Maximizes the effectiveness of the promotional budget consistent with financial and procurement guidelines. Accountable for accurate and timely budget management of projects within his/her remit.
- Bachelors of Arts / Bachelors of Science in Business, Marketing, Communications, or other related-disciplines required;
- Preferred: Masters in Business Administration / Masters of Science in Business, Marketing, Communications, or other related disciplines
- Minimum of 5 years in Promotion management, in the Pharmaceutical or Biologics industry (e.g., Brand Managers with Promotion experience, Advertising Agency, Marketing Communications Center of Excellence.)
- Minimum of 7 years in Pharmaceutical or Biologics Marketing. (e.g., Brand, Customer or Channel marketing). Demonstrated ability to develop and execute marketing strategy.
- Minimum of 4 years of direct-line People management.
- Experience in US and Global commercial / business roles.
- Product Launch experience in Marketing, Sales or other commercialization functions.
- Oncology marketing experience
- Excellence in collaboration and driving results with International affiliates and offices.
- Mastery in communication (interpersonal and written communications).
- Knowledge in process development and optimization
- Success in cross-functional leadership: ability to work across divisions and functions to ensure that work progresses effectively and efficiently
- Demonstrated leadership skills: ability to drive decision-making and results, ability to meet both the needs of the business and the needs of the customer, courage and candor.
Your role at Merck is integral to helping the world meet new breakthroughs that affect generations to come, and we’re counting on your skills and inventiveness to help make meaningful contributions to global medical advancement. At Merck, we’re inventing for life.
If you need an accommodation for the application process please email us at email@example.com.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
Job: Marketing Communications/Channels ONC
Employee Status: Regular
Travel: Yes, 25 % of the Time
Number of Openings:
Shift (if applicable):
Company Trade Name: Merck