Doctorate Candidate (f/m) - short-lived extreme states of matter using pulse laser hearing in DACs
European XFEL is an international non-profit company located in the Hamburg area in Germany. It operates a 3.4 km-long X-ray laser, which produces X-rays of unique quality for studies in physics, chemistry, the life sciences, materials research and other disciplines. The diverse scientific facilities at European XFEL enable scientists from across the globe to carry out a wide range of experimental techniques. Early user operation has started in September 2017.
As part of a 3 year DFG funded (Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft) research program on high-pressure high-temperature physics using diamond anvil cell (DAC) techniques in combination with novel X-ray light sources our HED (High energy density) Group is looking for a
Doctorate Candidate (f/m)
The focus of the project is to create and study short-lived extreme states of matter using pulse laser hearing in DACs and/or intense, highly brilliant femtosecond X-ray pulses. Outcome of these studies will be put in a bigger context of multi-disciplinary research unit on matter under planetary interior conditions.
The ideal candidate will
- contribute to developments of the experimental setups - sample preparation in DACs, work with laser heating setups, perform X-ray diffraction and X-ray spectroscopy experiments at large scale facilities
- interpret and apply to planetary physics acquired results on materials such as MgO, Fe or planetary ices and gases in states relevant to condensed matter as well as to warm dense matter regime
- strong collaboration with theory groups
- Master degree or Diploma in physics or related field
- good oral and written skills in the English language
- ability to work independently and in a team
- strong motivation to conduct experimental research including data evaluation and interpretation
- experience in scattering techniques is considered advantageous
For additional information please contact Zuzana Konopkova (zuzana.konopkova @xfel.eu).
Working place will be Schenefeld in the Hamburg metropolitan area.
General information on working in Germany, the Hamburg area and the European XFEL can be found here.
Reference number: S-187
Duration: This appointment is limited to 3 years.
English is the working language, knowledge of German is considered an asset.
Application: Application should consist of a single pdf file containing a CV in English, contact information of two potential referees and a short letter (1-2 pages) outlining your scientific interests and motivation to work on a PhD thesis in experimental research at extreme conditions. Please apply online here.
Deadline: November 15th 2017
European XFEL GmbH
Holzkoppel 4, 22869 Schenefeld, Germany
This job comes from a partnership with Science Magazine and