Professor of Chemistry
The University of Kent is seeking to appoint an outstanding Professor of Chemistry who can provide inspirational leadership, innovative research and a strategic outlook. This post represents an exciting opportunity for an ambitious individual to join a team of staff in the vibrant and dynamic School of Physical Sciences at the University of Kent.
You will be passionate about inspiring our students, becoming an active and integral member of the Chemistry teaching staff at undergraduate and postgraduate levels, as well as postgraduate research degrees. The substantive salary for this position will be payable on the Professorial and Senior Management salary scale and will be from £63,287 per annum
As a Professor of Chemistry you will:
- Conduct original research of the highest quality, leading to publications at an internationally leading level and raise grant income sufficient to support your research and that of the wider group
- Seek opportunities to ensure the research has impact, whether through knowledge transfer, policy advice, public engagement or other means.
- Contribute to the development and implementation of research, innovation and teaching strategies within the school, particularly in the area of functional materials.
- Contribute to the teaching, training and assessment of students at both undergraduate and postgraduate levels.
To succeed in this role you will have:
- A PhD (or equivalent experience) in Chemistry, Biochemistry, Materials or a related discipline.
- A sustained record of international excellence in research and a sustained track record of publications in leading international journals.
- Evidence of earning external recognition of research work and a successful track record of obtaining significant research funding.
- Clear and ambitious goals for future research objectives as outlined in the research plan.
- A record of research leadership as evidenced by supervision of research students, invited talks at major events, and service on editorial boards, panels of grant awarding bodies, committees of leading conferences, etc.
The School of Physical Sciences (SPS) is situated in the newly refurbished science laboratories on the Canterbury Campus - a green garden campus that overlooks the historic city – and just an hour by high-speed train to London. It is part of the Faculty of Sciences within the University of Kent, and offers a number of undergraduate and postgraduate degrees in Physics, Chemistry, and Forensic Sciences.
Interviews are to be held: 13 December 2017
Please see the links below to view the full job description and also to apply for this post. If you require further information regarding the application process please contact The Resourcing Team on firstname.lastname@example.org quoting ref number: STM0845
Applications must be made via the University’s online application system. You will be required to fill in the main details section of the application form as well as upload a research plan, your CV and a cover letter. Your cover letter should clearly and explicitly address the requirements of the Person specification and you should provide clear evidence and examples in your application which back-up any assertions you make in relation to each criterion. We recommend a maximum of 4 x A4 sides for this document.
If you are invited for an interview, we will request references for you at that stage.
To apply for this position, please visit our website.