Applied Physicist or Scientist on advanced Superconductors
* Are you an Applied Physicist or Scientist on advanced Superconductors? Are you ready to join one of the world's largest team of superconducting specialists? Apply now! CERN, take part!
* As an Applied Physicist or Scientist on advanced Superconductors.
* Take responsibility for the characterization of superconducting materials, strands and cables at liquid helium temperature, including the definition of dedicated experiments on existing or new test installations, test program and analysis of test resul ts.
* Take responsibility for the design of test stations operated at liquid helium temperatures and conceive experiments for the measurement of structural, electrical, magnetic and mechanical properties of superconductors.
* Participate in the activity of the superconductor laboratories, which includes performance of electrical measurements at cryogenic temperatures and design and construction of dedicated sample holders.
* Report on design, manufacturing and test results, both in written form, and presentations, as required.
Master's degree or PhD or equivalent relevant experience in the field of applied physics or electrical engineering, or equivalent. A Ph.D. in any of the above, and knowledge of applied superconductivity would be advantage.
Experience and competencies
* Proven experience in applied superconductivity, LTS and HTS materials and their applications.
* Experience in electromechanical design of superconducting devices.
* Experience in simulation and analysis in the field of applied superconductivity.
* Experience in the field of cryogenic tests and measurements involving superconductivity (materials and cables, magnets or other devices), data acquisition hardware and software.
* Knowledge of low temperature and high-field material properties.
* Knowledge of superconducting materials and High Temperature Superconductivity.
* Electromagnetic calculation & modelling: design, processing and operation of cryogenic stations for electro-magnetic tests.
* Electromagnetic calculation & modelling: electro-magnetic tests: measurement techniques and laboratory activity, precision measurement electronics, data acquisition.
* Knowledge, manufacturing, follow-up and QA of production of SC strands and SC cabl es.
* Use of Scientific and Engineering software packages.
* Data reduction and modelling techniques for applied physics, with special accent to electromagnetic and thermal phenomena.
* Knowledge of thermodynamics.
Application deadline 22.10.2017.
We offer a limited-duration contract for a period of 5 years.
Please visit our website for more information on employment conditions and Eligibility.
This job comes from a partnership with Science Magazine and